Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crosbow
1 October 2012, 08:31,
RE: Crosbow
Rolleyes Spend ten minutes or so reading this: http://www.alpharubicon.com/leo/uselessweap.htm Wink
Dodgy If you always have, on your person, at least 2 ways to make fire, you might be a prepper. Tongue
1 October 2012, 09:19,
Interesting article. I'm was surprised at the figures but after thinking about it I decided that why should they be a surprise. Most people rush their shots or the animal moves at the last second because it is startled. That is why there is a big difference between gun and bow. We make large movements with the bow and the prey are skittish.

I've not seen any deer traps around here. Probably illegal.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
1 October 2012, 12:42,
wow looks like im going to have to brush up on my snaring! very interesting figure too!

thanks for that BB Smile
1 October 2012, 12:53,
(1 October 2012, 08:31)BrixhamBadger Wrote: Rolleyes Spend ten minutes or so reading this: http://www.alpharubicon.com/leo/uselessweap.htm Wink

Interesting point. But this implies that fishing for food would be a waste of time as you could sit there for hours and catch nothing.

If you are transient too after TSHTF (the only way you can use a crossbow to hunt) then you may not be in the area long enough to set traps. If you have your bow ready to go then you stand a better chance of procuring food. Both would be the ideal combination, but I see the crossbow as a very capable and useful tool.
1 October 2012, 13:03,
(1 October 2012, 12:53)BeardyMan Wrote: Interesting point. But this implies that fishing for food would be a waste of time as you could sit there for hours and catch nothing.

If you are transient too after TSHTF (the only way you can use a crossbow to hunt) then you may not be in the area long enough to set traps. If you have your bow ready to go then you stand a better chance of procuring food. Both would be the ideal combination, but I see the crossbow as a very capable and useful tool.

i would say fishing is for when your more settled in or desperate for food really, and you dont necessarily have to sit and wait, you can have a setup like any snare, something you setup and leave, just come back every so often

if your more desperate there are other methods of fishing like spear fishing, which although it requires patience and practise can be a great way to get some nice fishies Big Grin
1 October 2012, 13:07,
(1 October 2012, 13:03)Hrusai Wrote:
(1 October 2012, 12:53)BeardyMan Wrote: Interesting point. But this implies that fishing for food would be a waste of time as you could sit there for hours and catch nothing.

i would say fishing is for when your more settled in or desperate for food really, and you dont necessarily have to sit and wait, you can have a setup like any snare, something you setup and leave, just come back every so often

if your more desperate there are other methods of fishing like spear fishing, which although it requires patience and practise can be a great way to get some nice fishies Big Grin

The mention of fishing was just to make a point about the %age rates the article gave for shots taken and no food provided.
Should I need to fish there are better methods for obtaining a large haul without the need for any kind of fishing equipment. A simple tight weave net across the river will produce a large amount of food very quickly. This is why they are illegal to use in this country.
1 October 2012, 13:10,
(1 October 2012, 13:07)BeardyMan Wrote: The mention of fishing was just to make a point about the %age rates the article gave for shots taken and no food provided.
Should I need to fish there are better methods for obtaining a large haul without the need for any kind of fishing equipment. A simple tight weave net across the river will produce a large amount of food very quickly. This is why they are illegal to use in this country.
ah i get ya ^^ the first and only time i went fishing it took me 4 hours of sea fishing to get like 3 mackerel, and i got them all in one go xD

true but i guess most things we plan for are for WROL Smile so it dont matter xD

1 October 2012, 13:12,
(1 October 2012, 13:10)Hrusai Wrote:
(1 October 2012, 13:07)BeardyMan Wrote: The mention of fishing was just to make a point about the %age rates the article gave for shots taken and no food provided.
ah i get ya ^^ the first and only time i went fishing it took me 4 hours of sea fishing to get like 3 mackerel, and i got them all in one go xD

true but i guess most things we plan for are for WROL Smile so it dont matter xD

Not been fishing for years. Never caught much apart from Pike, but we did fish in a little river called "The Stink" so it's not surprising really. Want to try fishing with explosives, that's more my kind of thing.
1 October 2012, 13:14,
(1 October 2012, 13:12)BeardyMan Wrote: Not been fishing for years. Never caught much apart from Pike, but we did fish in a little river called "The Stink" so it's not surprising really. Want to try fishing with explosives, that's more my kind of thing.

well rook scarers seem to be waterproof, i can buy em all year round from mole valley too ^^ for some reason the branch i go to doesnt even require you to have a farm account xD which is weird cause to get rook scarers you usually need one Big Grin

anyway they are pretty good, aint tried fishing but made a crazy lil frag grenade thingy, just lots of metal bb's wrapped in newspaper to keep them in uniform lines, then duct taped onto the banger Big Grin
1 October 2012, 13:25,
You shouldn't need BBs for fishing. The shock wave is what kills them. I might try some myself.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin