Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crosbow
1 October 2012, 16:06,
RE: Crosbow
Not quite. We have said similar things here. On a energy expended vs food acquired ration trapping is much better. That is accepted I believe. What this article points out is that hunting is much less efficient in all respects than we think and we should evaluate our weapons requirements accordingly.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
1 October 2012, 17:23,
Fishing is the easiest way of getting food.
Yes sitting there for hours with a rod and line is a waste of time but who the heck just sits there and wastes time?
Although I don't use a rod and line, when there is a river or lake nearby to where I'm camping I'll put out a long line with half a dozen baited hooks out.
OK sometimes it comes up empty but more often than not I'd get a couple of fish which would grill nicely.
Ever tasted roach or grayling? Both nice if more than a little boney.
No rush, line goes out in the evening, you pull the line in just before lunch the next day.
Two or three slightly tired fishes attached.

Sea fishing is even easier.
No long line then, snagging for wrasse, or mullet with tin foil lures and triple hooks.
Feathers for most free swimmers like mackerel and bass.

I know that the guy was trying to make a point but survival fishing is the simplest form of gain over labour with trapping a close second.

As for shooting? Why sit there in the hope you can pull off a one shot one kill trick when a line of snares does your work for you whilst you get on with important things like SLEEPING!

1 October 2012, 23:12,
Did you see robson green archery fishing? Didnt catch much, looks extreamly hard to do.