Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Small woodburner?
10 October 2012, 00:19,
RE: Small woodburner?
(1 October 2012, 07:16)BrixhamBadger Wrote: I have a Blacksmith (can I still say "black"smith in this f`ked up, P.C. obsessed world?) friend who makes them, hell.... he can make you anything metallic, I shall see if I can get him to come & join this site. Wink

"Equine footwear manufacturing technician", please!

Find a resilient place and way to live, then sit back and watch a momentous period in history unfold.
10 October 2012, 06:44,
I'm no expert but i was talking to a farmer the other day who is. His multifuel burner stays lit continuously from October to April every year and has done for the past 25 years. As i'm looking at prices for my place I was asking him about the various types and he said that it depends on what you want to use them for.

You can get flatpacked models that bolt together with 6mm bolts at the lower end of the price range which are fine if you are only using it now and then, in emergencies or just heating up a workshop of something similar. He said the problem with them is that if you use them constantly then the bolts can become the weakpoint and will often fail

Prices can be silly for woodburners but he reckons about £400 - £500 would get you a decentish quality burner that would last a fair bit of time. One place he suggested looking was places like mole valley farmers or other places like that as he often sees decent ones in there at reasonable prices
You have the right to hold any beliefs you want. You do not have the right to have those beliefs automatically respected
10 October 2012, 08:32,
I think the goldenb rules in stove selection appears to be
(A) Always buy THICK WALL AND TOP types, IE at least 1 inch thick cast iron tops for heat retention and longevity, mild steel stoves burn out a lot quicker than heavy cast iron stoves.
(B) Try and get one that can burn coal and wood by simply adding a plate or removing a plate from the riddling tray
© Get one lined with easy replaceable fire bricks
I've got an article some place I'll dig it out.

Wood burning stoves
© 2011Northern Raider

I have been out and about the area to have a look at the wood burning stoves on sale around here. B & Q sell them as does Machine Mart and many independent stores also now keep them
I purchased mine from a local independent store because I like to help keep local businesses flourishing, and because you tend to get better product knowledge and customer service from smaller companies.

In the UK sales of wood burning stoves is increasing by about 30% a year with some company’s models having waiting lists of up to 6 months for delivery. In my own area one store reports and increase in sales of over 70% in a year. You can be pretty sure that survivalists, preppers, off-gridders and smallholders are among the main buyers.

I recently had an Aga Little Wenlock Classic stove fitted in my house, it burns both wood and all sorts of smokeless fuels, It cost £585 but you can but reasonable quality CAST IRON stoves from about £250, but you do get what you pay for.

The better stoves are designed to be very clean burning and fuel efficient with many types being up to 81 % efficient, that’s pretty good going. The better quality ones will also have an air-wash system that really does help keep the glass much cleaner in the door.

You can buy CAST IRON, Cast Iron and Steel hybrids and all steel stoves. Providing you don’t want it to be portable Cast Iron is the best bet for long term service and durability, plus cast iron stays hot much longer than steel those giving you maximum heat for the fuel you burn. You can also get them that have built in water boilers.

(If you need a lightweight portable wood burner have a look around for the FRONTIER Stove
http://www.campingworld.co.uk/Models.aspx?ModelID=6749 )

Installation, In the UK Wood burners have to be installed or inspected and certified by a HETAS installer (The wood stoves version of GAS SAFE/CORGI), or be inspected by the local council. Be careful some councils charge £300 just to look up your chimney.

Maintenance, it is advised you have your chimney swept about every year to 18 months to prevent chimney fires or blockages in the system gassing you to death.

On my stove the ash pan needs cleaning out about every 4 days if the stove is used every day, its just a matter of emptying the ashpan into the bin when the contents are cold ( You can use it to melt icy roads or make soap if you are inclined too). And an occasional cleaning of the glass door panel and that’s about it.

On multi fuel stoves you need a clean griddle for coal to burn best, but if burning wood it prefers to sit atop a layer of ashes or last nights remaining fuel.

My own wood burner replaces a gas fire and its only being fed salvaged timber from scrap wood, old pallets or pieces of windfall tree limbs, So long as you check the moisture content of the wood is under 20% you wont have any problems, but try not to burn wood that has been painted or chemically treated.

The Aga Little Wenlock Classic SE Woodburning Stove is a dedicated Smoke Exempt (SE) version of the best-selling Little Wenlock Classic. A perfect blend of old and new, the stove combines cutting edge technology with traditional cast iron style and performance.
The stove is specifically designed to burn wood and burns it so efficiently it meets the stringent requirements of the Clean Air Act. Due to the low particulate emissions this product is fully approved to burn wood in smoke control zones.
Features
• Heat output 4.7kW
• Matt black finish
• Airwash system for cleaner glass
• Interchangeable wood burning plate for wood
• Rotating grate for easy de-ashing
• Primary and secondary air controls
• Cool touch black handle

11 October 2012, 06:47,
The frontier stove is a good little stove in an emergency, but the diameter of the chimney is far too small for clean effiecient burning and tends to cause a smoke chimney, no good if you wish to keep a low profile