Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Protein.
30 December 2012, 22:30,
RE: Protein.
(30 December 2012, 22:24)KnockoffNeil Wrote: thanks for the effort on that one BP but i was thinking more along the lines of if i go into the woods what can i eat out of the selection of things trying to eat me.....hmmm bad way of putting it earthworms dont bite and i think i can eat them.

I may do some research and put a post up for peeps on easy to find protein bugs in the uk wilds.

Nothing in the UK is going to kill you if you eat it insect wise.
30 December 2012, 22:51,
seriously???? i can eat everything in a significant quantity?? (consider the wrong answer could kill or poison me) is this fact?? that sounds like the worlds biggest free buffet to me. why has no one yet done an "experience post" where they live off insects and foliage for 2 days or slightly longer? and i mean a real amount of food, enough to keep you going... not just "i tried one worm and it was yucky"

If what you sat is true BDG when i have acumulated a sufficent amount of BOB material ( I am a newb and have hardly any) say end of march latest i reckon. You could be seeing a thread like that coming from my direction. I have some learning to do first.
30 December 2012, 22:51,
Well there are a few bugs that wouldnt do you much good, some of the brightly colored beatles are poisonous, as are some catapillars and millipieds [sp]..... I would also shy away from some of the big stingers, like Hornets

I have eaten a few creapy crawlies too, and I always look for the dark coloured ones such as worms, beatles and ants,... basicly what you see the birds eating.

... but I have never yet eaten the bugs on their own, but mixed them with something else a little more tasty
A major part of survival is invisibility.
31 December 2012, 10:17,
i'd shy away from any insect that is reddish in colour, in nature red is a warning colour as in " eat me and i'll make you very sick( maybe kill you!)"
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
1 January 2013, 06:42,
Fish is great for protein and you should be able to make a Gill net, also if near the sea you can make fish traps. Many survival books show how to make fish traps, some show how to make nets. Kenneth Eames.
1 January 2013, 11:49,
Tom Brown, a survival LEGEND (yes, a capital LEGEND) says that survival is about shutting down your human brain and letting your animal take over. Other than learning what will kill you, everything else is fair game. Totally agree with Highlander, we've not been in that situation, and with SD talking to my wife....that cat of yours is cute, but when you're that hungry (you remember that conversation right SD? haha). Also, as KE says, why not go for fish? Too much fish can give you worms and mercury poisoning, but again, back to Highlander, you won't just be eating that one item. You'll mix it up with other stuff.

As for cannibalism, it would take a very extreme situation for that to be an option. After a few cold winters (and the preps had ran out) there will be so few people about that finding food really shouldn't be an issue. The local wildlife will be thriving haha.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
1 January 2013, 12:42,
Scythe,

And your wife admitted it when we explored the theme. I found that refreshing that she could think about it enough to see beyond her boundaries.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin