Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
hunting with a crossbow
1 October 2012, 21:54, (This post was last modified: 1 October 2012, 22:00 by Paul.)
Crossbow love affair
Dunno what it is but UK preppers love crossbows.
Probably because they aren't licensed and probably because of the hype, the 150 lb upwards pulls, and the broad head knife edge bolt tips.
Really 'cool' looking too.

Here's something to think about though.

This is the data from two generic bows both shooting the same weight bolt
i.e. total of 300 grain.
Arrow points and broad heads need to be the same exact weight which is 100 grains.
The broad head diameter needs to be 1" - 1 1/16" MAX for deer.

Common Generic 150lb Re-curve Bow
245 fps at the bow (Software Chairgun)
150 lb pull
300 grain bolt
Rge, Drop, Ft.lb
15y, 06" , 39.7
20y, 11" , 39.8
25y, 18" , 39.6
30y, 26" , 39.5

225 - 275 feet per second arrow speed crossbows.
(Data from Crossbowmen)
25 Yards - Maximum Point Blank Hunting Range.
30 Yards - Maximum Effective Hunting Range.

Common Generic 175lb Re-curve Bow
280 fps at the bow (Software Chairgun)
175 lb pull
300 grain bolt

Rge, Drop, Ft.lb
15y, 05", 52
20y, 09", 52
25y, 14", 51
30y, 20", 51

Medium Velocity; 275 - 325 feet per second
(Data Crossbowmen)
30 Yards - Maximum Point Blank Hunting Range.
37 Yards - Maximum Effective Hunting Range.

Please note the MAXIMUM kill ranges of 30 yards and 37 Yards.

Want a second shot with your crossbow?
15-30 seconds pratting round most of the time eyes off the target.

Most any "ex forces" will tell you that is tactical suicide in a firefight but there again we're only talking about deer aren't we? Confused

A 12 gauge shotgun 1/2 " shotgun slug 440 grains comes out the pipe at round 1200fps.
That's 1350 ft lbs of smack at these ranges. (JBM Ballistics)

AND YOU GET A QUICK SECOND SHOT!

I know you all love a crossbow, it does look "evil" when pointed at you but seriously, if you wanted something dead, which would you prefer?

Crossbow or shotgun?

In a firefight, honestly which would you prefer?
Speed of reloading / firing or something that looks cool?
Extra note:
Standard slingshot 10ft lbs 3/8" ball to the new Uber types 43ft lbs with a 1/2" ball.
Reload time, 4-5 seconds, 10 (ish) shots per minute.

1 October 2012, 22:18,
RE: hunting with a crossbow
Crossbows do have their place in ones armory, I actually have a 175 lb crossbow myself Wink but I would use traps first without a doubt.
Dodgy If you always have, on your person, at least 2 ways to make fire, you might be a prepper. Tongue
1 October 2012, 22:40,
it can run as far as his adrenilin and blood can let it they can drop like a sack of s--t and if you dont give it time to bleed out and the shot was not as good as you think they will get up and be off and they will never drop were you want them to Sad and as for badger they used to sell it in butchers years ago badger hock Smile remember it is a pig after all Smile

bd
1 October 2012, 22:46,
Worked with a guy who poached deer with a crossbow said it did the job.

paul the Main reason I want a crossbow is for post shtf in an urban enviroment,i have a recurve bow but its to big to use in corridors. Dont plan on being near people but if I have to defend my self I get a shot with the crossbow then go in with my axe.
1 October 2012, 22:49,
The one I had at the bow and arrow weekend was 420fps. Thud at both ends as it shot 50 yrds. Using a broadhead went straight through the straw target. Reloading though certainly took time.

The difference between a shotgun and a bolt though is I can reuse the bolt. I If I miss the animal I'm hunting or don't get a clean kill I may lose the bolt but with care it will last much longer while every shotgun cartridge I use is one less regardless if I hit or miss.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
1 October 2012, 22:51,
Also a lot quiter.
2 October 2012, 08:58,
(1 October 2012, 22:51)Metroyeti Wrote: Also a lot quiter.

Yes, much. Plus if you do miss and don't spook the quarry you cah get a second go. If you miss with a shotgun, unless you've found yourself a deaf dear, it's off.
2 October 2012, 09:01,
I have to pop in and chip in on this thread,Sorry guys.
(A) Crossbows have massive psycological and intimidation capability
(B) Easily used by untrained people in a stressful situation, Imagine looters trying to get into your house and whilst you are covering the back the wife or child gets to cover the front door, Most arrows from bows wont easily go through a door unless its a high powered big compound or long bow. Long bows / compounds need lots of practice and cannot easily be drawn or deployed by smaller folk especially if they are stressed or frightened. A cocked and loaded sodding big crossbow is a one shot point and shoot cannon that even granny can fire to cover a door or window.
© Most bolts from a big crossbow rested on a chair fired by a ten year old will go through the door and the git trying to get in.
Its the shock and awe effect that crossbows have Bagging a big deer or wild pig is its primary role, heavy artilary is its second, intimidation is its third.

I see pistol bows as close quarters easy to cock and use indoors tools against intruders, modern compound bows which can be under 30 inches long as a primary hunting weapon for two and four legged critters, and a big crossbow cocked and ready hidden in the bushes with you or a smaller member of your family that does not need cocking quickly for taking bigger food critters.

Also compared to FACs they are much quieter and after TSHTF the last thing you want is hyenas homing in on the sound of dwindling gunfire.
Look at it this way its better than throwing stones or waiting for 999 to respond.

As we have discussed on many occasions most of the time we will only have immediate family to rely upon, they may be young kids and ancient old biddies??

Sorry to intrude
NR

2 October 2012, 11:21,
wise words NR Smile
2 October 2012, 11:51,
I knew this one would make you comment.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin