Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
A Hard Winter
14 November 2012, 21:19,
RE: A Hard Winter
Sounds like you're pretty well set up there Highlander. It's interesting how being into camping, and especially backpacking, automatically gives you a level of preparation. You have the ability to carry all the basic needs of survival on your back; shelter, clothing, food, heat, water.
Find a resilient place and way to live, then sit back and watch a momentous period in history unfold.
20 January 2013, 22:01,
(5 October 2012, 22:18)Tarrel Wrote: First time I've written one of these, so here goes...
October...
November...
December...
January...
February...
How would you react?
When would you react?
Would you be prepared for:
- Keeping warm?
- Keeping safe?
- Keeping fed?
in real conditions you don't have to think much about it.
britain is bunch of islands situated in the middle of the big climatically unstable water body in the north-east of atlantic ocean. so the weather is changing constantly there.
even in the events "of the jet-stream creates a prolonged high pressure blocking weather pattern over the UK, leading to biting North-Easterly winds and heavy snow" it is just matter of week or two.

if Britain freezes for longer than 2 months that would be disaster for whole northern hemisphere too.
20 January 2013, 22:53,
How would it be a disaster for everyone Erik? I'm not doubting you, just don't see the connection between us being frozen affecting everyone.
20 January 2013, 23:04,
I wonder if Erik means that we are at the bottom end of the cold weather scale,..already if we get 2 months of freezing weather,...then other countries get four months,...... if we got four months they would get six,... a disaster

Our saving grace is the fact that we are an island, and our weather is constantly changing,.. if our weather went static, that would mean longer lasting trouble for the mainland Europe

This is what would happen if the Jet Stream ever changed its course
A major part of survival is invisibility.
22 March 2013, 19:26,
Just thought I'd bump this that I wrote last October. Different causation, and hopefully we're too close to the inevitable arrival of warmer weather for any gas shortages to cause major problems. But, you never know...
Find a resilient place and way to live, then sit back and watch a momentous period in history unfold.
22 March 2013, 21:37,
Well are we too close to warmer weather??... for people whose homes are completely heated with gas, it would only be a very few days in this latest cold spell to see many deaths within an aging population,...I would hate to be gas reliant right now
22 March 2013, 22:31,
Hi all, haven't been on here for a while but it's good to get back on line.

As to the above subject I have just purchased in my opinion the ideal house which is making me like a kid on Xmas eve.
It's in the country side, has duel fuel heating ( wood/oil ), solar panels for water heating, is surrounded by mature British woodland which just happens to be full of food animals such as deer, rabbit, birds etc. Also within 15 minutes walk through the woodland is an area is a privately owned area used for water foul shooting. The best thing I think was a complete surprise to me but it turns out there's a well at the bottom of the garden which has been checked and the water is clean enough to drink straight out of.
More importantly it turns out that no one uses the woodland and what's better is that its got a large population of slow worms and grass snakes so even the local gov won't go near it not even to fell trees etc and that equals endless supply of wood.
I will follow up with more detail when I move in and let you guys know more and I think I'm gonna need a lot of advice to improve things.
22 March 2013, 22:42,
(22 March 2013, 22:31)Megatron Wrote: Hi all, haven't been on here for a while but it's good to get back on line.

As to the above subject I have just purchased in my opinion the ideal house which is making me like a kid on Xmas eve.
It's in the country side, has duel fuel heating ( wood/oil ), solar panels for water heating, is surrounded by mature British woodland which just happens to be full of food animals such as deer, rabbit, birds etc. Also within 15 minutes walk through the woodland is an area is a privately owned area used for water foul shooting. The best thing I think was a complete surprise to me but it turns out there's a well at the bottom of the garden which has been checked and the water is clean enough to drink straight out of.
More importantly it turns out that no one uses the woodland and what's better is that its got a large population of slow worms and grass snakes so even the local gov won't go near it not even to fell trees etc and that equals endless supply of wood.
I will follow up with more detail when I move in and let you guys know more and I think I'm gonna need a lot of advice to improve things.

only going slight green with envyBig Grin

sounds ideal ....I'm sure you'll get plenty of idea to any questions some better than others
22 March 2013, 22:49,
(22 March 2013, 22:42)I-K-E Wrote:
(22 March 2013, 22:31)Megatron Wrote: Hi all, haven't been on here for a while but it's good to get back on line.

only going slight green with envyBig Grin

sounds ideal ....I'm sure you'll get plenty of idea to any questions some better than others

Haha thanks mate. Trust me it wasn't easy, my other half and I must have looked at every bloody house on the market.
For some people it's great to have the 2.4 house in town but for both of us we knew in two minutes that this was the one for us. Although she's certainly not a prepper she knows that the way things are going with the economy and social uncertainties it pays to be able to have a fall back plan.
22 March 2013, 22:50,
Megatrone,... sounds like you have a great place there, well done