Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The sheeple motivated
18 November 2012, 10:25,
RE: The sheeple motivated
Quote from http://www.bre.co.uk/filelibrary/pdf/rpt...dition.pdf

A key safety consideration is that the PV system will disconnect when the distribution system is not energised. This is to prevent the hazardous situation of the photovoltaic system feeding the network or local distribution system during a planned or unscheduled loss of mains. Such an event is termed
‘islanding’ and presents a potential danger to those working on the network/distribution system.

What this means in reality is if the national grid fails, the PV system is locked out from pushing power BACK into the national grid. Where does that power go? NOWHERE.
All that money and you get precisely nothing. So sorry, should have read the small print.
http://www.naturalnews.com/036194_solar_..._grid.html

Unless you have a proper stand alone pv-battery-inverter system NOT tied into national grid, you're basically stuffed. Big smiles for all you who DIY'd yourself a system.

18 November 2012, 10:44,
Sorry Paul but your wrong on that story line, the lock out only affects traditional connections to the grid, Nat Grid and the power companies are developing localised energy distribution systems called local grid and smart grid, if the main national grid fails in your area if your village / community / coop is part of a smart grid all that happens is those smart grid members get seperated from the national grid but continue to supply to local grid. Its Nat Grids response to the tens of thousands of local small scale generators joining the grid which destabilise the main grid.

18 November 2012, 12:07, (This post was last modified: 18 November 2012, 12:13 by Highlander.)
(8 October 2012, 20:20)NorthernRaider Wrote:
(8 October 2012, 19:38)Madgirl151 Wrote: Can I ask a stupid question?? If the power goes out because the power stations stop working, would the solar panels on the roof still generate electricity?? AND if it does, is there any way to keep it instead of it going back into the grid???

Yup to all, If the power stations stop working your solar panel still create electricty, but instead of it going back into the national grid and being wasted you would have a system where the soilar panels electricity charges a set of batteries, and its the batteries you use to provide power for your home.

If I remember correctly a simple switch is encorporated into the design to decide where the solar generated power goes, IE into the grid or into your batteries. Smile

And the only stupid questions are the ones people dont ask Smile

Madgirl,... is this what you were talking about in a recent thread?....
N.R,..... can you talk about this a little more please,... how would the average Joe do this,... it would be too easy to have a switch fitted,... wouldnt it?
(18 November 2012, 10:25)Paul Wrote: Quote from http://www.bre.co.uk/filelibrary/pdf/rpt...dition.pdf

A key safety consideration is that the PV system will disconnect when the distribution system is not energised. This is to prevent the hazardous situation of the photovoltaic system feeding the network or local distribution system during a planned or unscheduled loss of mains. Such an event is termed
‘islanding’ and presents a potential danger to those working on the network/distribution system.

What this means in reality is if the national grid fails, the PV system is locked out from pushing power BACK into the national grid. Where does that power go? NOWHERE.
All that money and you get precisely nothing. So sorry, should have read the small print.
http://www.naturalnews.com/036194_solar_..._grid.html

Unless you have a proper stand alone pv-battery-inverter system NOT tied into national grid, you're basically stuffed. Big smiles for all you who DIY'd yourself a system.

This is what I understood would happen if the power grid failed, this was what we were told when we had ours fitted,.. the power goes off,.. the solar is cut off,... so that your polar panels dont electricute the man fixing the power cut
A major part of survival is invisibility.
18 November 2012, 12:52,
You can fit a circuit breaker to your system if you own it so that if the nat grid goes down and their engineers want to cut power from all local feed in tariff suppliers you can isolate yourself from the grid and then keep the power to your home.This probably requires a licence and permission from the NG. This can be arranged with your power company so they know if they have to work on your local grid they know to come and isolate you completely. Costs money though thats why independant privately own pv systems not connected to the NG are the best bet for preppers,, besides it teaches you to value your power supply and to not live beyond your own power genaerating capacity.

18 November 2012, 13:21, (This post was last modified: 18 November 2012, 13:26 by Highlander.)
(18 November 2012, 12:52)NorthernRaider Wrote: You can fit a circuit breaker to your system if you own it so that if the nat grid goes down and their engineers want to cut power from all local feed in tariff suppliers you can isolate yourself from the grid and then keep the power to your home.This probably requires a licence and permission from the NG. This can be arranged with your power company so they know if they have to work on your local grid they know to come and isolate you completely. Costs money though thats why independant privately own pv systems not connected to the NG are the best bet for preppers,, besides it teaches you to value your power supply and to not live beyond your own power genaerating capacity.

This is interesting, sound simular to the switch you put into your main wireing to enable you to plug a generator,... I will look into that, thanks
Reading your post again,.. as you said it sounds costly,,.. the fact that have to come every time,..so dont think I will be going that route.

I think the far better option is to add another couple of panels that are not connected to the grid, or invest in a small wind turbine
A major part of survival is invisibility.
18 November 2012, 13:40,
(18 November 2012, 13:21)Highlander Wrote: I think the far better option is to add another couple of panels that are not connected to the grid, or invest in a small wind turbine

Thats the 100% right answer a totally independant, isolated free standing system of your own, maybe less powerful but a damn site more controlable. Theres a very very good maker of micro wind turbine specifically designed to function well in the Scottish climate, its on Skye ( definately one of the Scots islands anyway) I think, all I can remember is the smaller turbine is very good, the middle model has proven unreliable and the big one to expensive so most folks by the highly rated small one in multiples if they need it.

19 November 2012, 01:10,
I think its called 'grid tied' - where you are tied into the grid etc , there's nothing to stop you installing batteries and another type of inverter on a switch to trickle charge batteries which would kick in when grid power goes down.

I believe the only non-starter is the setups that were mistakenly advertised as being 'independent' making you think you would be safely generating your own power when the grid went down, when in fact you were 'tied' into it like a parasite to its host.

Most typical home setups to cover 50% of your needs are based around 15 to 21 panels , generating around 4KW , thats based on 190w to 250w panels.
Trying very hard not to be paranoid.....and it aint getting easier.
19 November 2012, 14:31,
I think part of this power issue is the centralized power generation. What needs to happen is power generation need to be distributed. More localized solar and wind generation.

All the different types of energy production have there downfall.
Wind farm: Some can be expensive to maintain - Bearing, lubricants - They don't generate power in low wind and have to be shut down when the winds are too high.

Solar: Resource expensive to make, need strong light to be power efficient

Nuclear: Possible meltdowns and pollution.

Coal & gas: Pollution, using precious resources which are limited.

Hydro: Unless it is a damn or water fall powered it is only for high demand times as water needs to be pumped back up to the reservoir.

There doesn't seem to be any good solution, a move to renewable energy is good but isn't the complete answer since it's generation of power is left to the environment. If only geothermal energy was more available around the world, I do think power generation should be localized to the people that need it and it should be linked like the national grid. Less massive plants more smaller generators that can be ramped up and down depending on local need, not national demand. A lot of energy is lot through the transmission through the grid, even though it is reasonably efficient.

This is just my view, I may be and probably am wrong though Tongue
Failure is always an option.