Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Wales and Scotland
12 December 2012, 19:03,
RE: Wales and Scotland
(8 October 2012, 17:35)cryingfreeman Wrote: Good point NR about being perceived as an outsider in Wales or Scotland. The Highlanders still hold a simmering, unspoken resentment towards the English as the best of times. I can only see that worsening during a grid down / cataclysm scenario.

Someone like me might be in a difficult situation (wife and two toddlers) if they have to flee on foot. Babies are ridiculously high maintenance; how mad would it be in a refugee situation? Because fleeing on foot / bugging out is refugee behaviour.

I reckon that the Highlanders accept Englanders more quickly that the rest of us because there is a lot of white settlers up there, your biggest problem would be tring to make it through the central belt where we hate everybody equally. Not a lot of English here but to get serious for a wee minute, you guys that are heading for Wales why not try the old slate mines I have been down a few of these and they are excellent.
12 December 2012, 19:27,
We I am a Welshman by birth and I settled here a million years ago without problems Smile

I will not be bugging out anywhere, but if I were to find myself walking, then I have three German Shepherds.

I already do dog scootering,.. land muching, sleding on wheels, what ever you want to call it,.. they are trained to pull,..I also have a good four wheel cart that they pull firewood with,..they would certainly help a great deal
A major part of survival is invisibility.
12 December 2012, 20:32,
personall im gonna bug in for as long as is possible, in a bug out scenario short term i would live nearby and spend some time assessing whether its safe to return to me house,

in a long term bug out i would probably be making me way to an old disused mine, only 1 entrance, only 4 people know its location (and are up north) the entrance is buried 4ft down and is totally unnoticeable, u can literally stand on top of it and have no idea, over time i would build up a healthy load of supplies (or ideally have them ready) and get lots of insulation and wooden planks to build up something akin to an underground log cabin. though at current i still need to do more work on this idea and survey the local area more.

personally i think using old mines can be a fabulous place to bug out to, like a free bunker!

(i do not recommend anyone going into mines without an expert present, it is as dangerous as caving in most cases if not more so there are hundreds of way's to die in a mine to name a few alot of mines are unstable and can collapse at any given time, many chambers can contain "bad air" which is unbreathable. )
12 December 2012, 20:48,
The slate mines are great, took a couple of tours down them with the kids years ago, I would reccomend them to anyone, plenty of water a temperate climate same temp no matter what time of year and plenty of space. Easy to just walk in and down, plenty of local wild life to keep you going, you guys that live close should do a wee recy and check them out