Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Wales and Scotland
8 October 2012, 18:28, (This post was last modified: 8 October 2012, 18:32 by Straight Shooter.)
RE: Wales and Scotland
if tshtf tomorrow i would be 97% ready BUT it is my aim to move to my bol (when i sell my house ) its the only thing holding me back ,and it can,t come fast enough for me to move! i already know what to do with my bol, planned it for years.......i have a plan B and C but these fall short big time
p.s. us celts DO like you english but only with mint sauce and lots of gravy
8 October 2012, 18:33,
Well, I'd be boarding up the windows, making some small explosives and listening to the radio Smile
But if we HAD to bug out I'd be headed to a smaller nearby town 15 miles away that has natural springs, lots of cottages and old people and a rural dog kennel that I used to work at (with a number of abandoned farm buildings around). Let's just say the old boss would be evicted and I'd be left with a kennel full of dogs, some chickens and cows Big Grin
But that would be an absolute last resort.
8 October 2012, 19:16,
(8 October 2012, 17:35)cryingfreeman Wrote: Good point NR about being perceived as an outsider in Wales or Scotland. The Highlanders still hold a simmering, unspoken resentment towards the English as the best of times. I can only see that worsening during a grid down / cataclysm scenario.

Someone like me might be in a difficult situation (wife and two toddlers) if they have to flee on foot. Babies are ridiculously high maintenance; how mad would it be in a refugee situation? Because fleeing on foot / bugging out is refugee behaviour.

English going to scotland or Wales, Scots / Welsh going to England , northerners going down south, Landaners moving ap norf like all are OK in normal times but dsadly fools and bigots flourish in troubled times and anyone outside the local norms will become a target. I know communities in North wales who say the people from Cardiff etc are not real Welsh. In scotland some areas that stiull speak Gaelic hate lowland Scots. I dont fancy unestablished migrants chances in other areas after TSHTF

8 October 2012, 21:03,
I agree. Any movement in areas outside your normal everyday zone , is a risk.

The stranger is always the one singled out for special treatment , or is the one who gets the blame when things start going wrong.

If you're BOL is any distance away then you should really be getting yourself known around the area , the closer you integrate the better chance you will have of co-operation with the locals.

I dont intend going far...and I'm doing my best being seen walking/fishing 'regularly' around and near the area , which is sparsely populated anyway...in this manner I can pick up local info , the lay of the land , and other useful things whilst appearing to be a seemingly benign regular wanderer.
Google earth / maps is perfect to put points of interest you've noticed into a more visual and quickly identifiable way.

Build up your knowledge of your area if you have any distance to travel , it could save you !
Being hidden in plain sight should never be underestimated.
Trying very hard not to be paranoid.....and it aint getting easier.
9 October 2012, 07:39,
(8 October 2012, 15:45)Scythe13 Wrote: Shen you say bikes, LS, do you mean motor or pedal?

Pedal bikes: Steel mountain bikes with tubular steel racks.

We also have a tandem which is good for very long range, but draws lots of attention. We are able to make 100 mile day trips on this.

But single mountain bikes are the best load luggers and are most robust as well.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

9 October 2012, 07:54,
Got a bike trailer to bug out with. Failing the bike I"ll get a shopping trolley. Still dont have a definate bol, know a few different buildings but none of them are great. Or I could steal a boat. It really depends on the situation,if its real bad they might shut the bridges/tunnels wich means I carnt head south without crossing the tyne. Going east im straight in the sea. Go west im headed towards the city. So if I do bug out im going to go north and hope I have a good bol by then.
9 October 2012, 09:35,
(9 October 2012, 07:54)Metroyeti Wrote: Got a bike trailer to bug out with. Failing the bike I"ll get a shopping trolley.

Drop the shopping trolley. They don't even go in a straight line over a smooth surface. No chance they'll move on roads, and when it comes to off road...... Also, for silent travel, you'd be screwed too.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
9 October 2012, 09:52,
Saw a shoping trolley converted into a cart by adding two pneumatic garden barrow tyres at the handle end, chopping off the two front castors and fitting two rails plus rope crossbar to the front.

9 October 2012, 12:47,
load up buggy with child then 2 packs. myself and wife carry a pack each, move through the outskirts of town to our MSG meetup point. Wait for others, then set off to the retreat. It's fully stocked with preps (MSG members, not mine) has access to allotments etc, lots of land for growing. Easily defensible too. Tiny little village.

We walked 90% of the way there on Sunday, through the old footpaths along the river. Saw a total of 8 people, 4 of these were fishing together, so it's not very busy. Couple of springs on route which we found, plenty of fish and lots of sheep if we get hungry.
9 October 2012, 12:59,
I'm bugging out ONLY if I have too.

My bol's about 13 miles or so away, 4-5 hours walk BUT with the slowest members within my group 2 days. MAYBE 1 at a push.

I'm only bugging if there's a severe threat locally that is life threatening and not dealable with.

There are other viable bols located somewhat closer by but my primary bols fairly remote, underground, and fairly well defendable, so all in all worth the walk.
I tried to be normal once.... Worst two minutes of my life...