Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boots
21 May 2012, 11:37,
RE: Boots
(21 May 2012, 10:58)Morgan Wrote: I could do with some British Army Arctic socks, where do you get them from?
http://http://www.the-outdoor.co.uk Hope this helps Smile

21 May 2012, 11:45, (This post was last modified: 21 May 2012, 11:46 by Timelord.)
Thankyou for that web link. I wear them all the time and the usual supplier trebelled prices last year. thanks, TL. Also agreed about Goretex not ideal for our climate & water n over the top. I have written about this previously. Most people just go with the advertising/herd mantality without understanding the material/physical applications. I use the original Lowa mountain boot with the thick cambrelle lining instead of goretex and they are a superior longer lasting, more comforatble boot to the goretex versions. Warmer in the winter too and quicker to dry out if wet inside - which I don't recall happening. Gaitors or puttees are very effective at stopping water ingress and soaking of the lower leg + good at countering rough vegetation & brambles. The Lowa boots can be comprehensively resoled professionally by the UK Lowa authorised repairer - for about £65. That is not cheap by any means but it is half the price of a new pair and they will be as new(unless you have a goretex lining that has worn out - which they may also replace??). That is good value for the quality of boot and means the boots can have a very long lifespan.
I see boots as being a critical piece of kit. They are your means of mobility when all else fails and need to be relied on in tough times. I don't understand the reasoning behind buying cheap or multiple cheap pairs of boots when you can only wear one pair at a time. If I was in a SHTF situation, I would not want to have to carry spare pairs with me or to have a pair that is not up to the task. My boots would want to be the least of my worries. Having a few cheap pairs at a base location is a good idea - unless you are not there yourself...

Another consideration would be to source a pair of leather soled boots. Thes will be hard wearing and could even have a rubber sole bonded on. The idea behind obtaining a leather sole construction boot, would be that it is repairable at a low tech level. A new sole, maybe not even leather can be sewn on if needed.
I reckon an alternative would be to make up a pair of those car tyre type sandals, but ones that could be strapped to an old worn pair of boots to expediently extend the lifespan and functionality.
(21 May 2012, 11:37)Bug_out_Bag Wrote:
(21 May 2012, 10:58)Morgan Wrote: I could do with some British Army Arctic socks, where do you get them from?

Can't get the link to work...
21 May 2012, 11:50,
(21 May 2012, 11:09)Bug_out_Bag Wrote:

Hi Morgan, I'll dig out the site address for you, I bought three pairs which were advertised as having very slight wear along with some other stuff but when they turned up they were all brand new! Purchase price was a pound a pair plus p&p, I was pleased! Smile

(21 May 2012, 11:45)Timelord Wrote: Thankyou for that web link. I wear them all the time and the usual supplier trebelled prices last year. thanks, TL. Also agreed about Goretex not ideal for our climate & water n over the top. I have written about this previously. Most people just go with the advertising/herd mantality without understanding the material/physical applications. I use the original Lowa mountain boot with the thick cambrelle lining instead of goretex and they are a superior longer lasting, more comforatble boot to the goretex versions. Warmer in the winter too and quicker to dry out if wet inside - which I don't recall happening. Gaitors or puttees are very effective at stopping water ingress and soaking of the lower leg + good at countering rough vegetation & brambles. The Lowa boots can be comprehensively resoled professionally by the UK Lowa authorised repairer - for about £65. That is not cheap by any means but it is half the price of a new pair and they will be as new(unless you have a goretex lining that has worn out - which they may also replace??). That is good value for the quality of boot and means the boots can have a very long lifespan.
I see boots as being a critical piece of kit. They are your means of mobility when all else fails and need to be relied on in tough times. I don't understand the reasoning behind buying cheap or multiple cheap pairs of boots when you can only wear one pair at a time. If I was in a SHTF situation, I would not want to have to carry spare pairs with me or to have a pair that is not up to the task. My boots would want to be the least of my worries. Having a few cheap pairs at a base location is a good idea - unless you are not there yourself...

Another consideration would be to source a pair of leather soled boots. Thes will be hard wearing and could even have a rubber sole bonded on. The idea behind obtaining a leather sole construction boot, would be that it is repairable at a low tech level. A new sole, maybe not even leather can be sewn on if needed.
I reckon an alternative would be to make up a pair of those car tyre type sandals, but ones that could be strapped to an old worn pair of boots to expediently extend the lifespan and functionality.
[quote='Bug_out_Bag' pid='15272' dateline='1337596674']
[quote='Morgan' pid='15263' dateline='1337594310']
I could do with some British Army Arctic socks, where do you get them from?

Great reply, totally agree. Can I have the address of you to send the Lowa's to to get re-soled? I ended up using mine on my motorbike and they need some TLC.

Also, leather soled boots, when I can afford it, I am going to get some Leather soled and hobnailed hill boots, they will last a lifetime.

Made the old fashioned way to a design that is really really old.
Subvert the dominant paradigm...
The Market Stick
21 May 2012, 11:50,
but with no real way out for most of us.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
21 May 2012, 11:52,
(21 May 2012, 11:45)Timelord Wrote: Thankyou for that web link. I wear them all the time and the usual supplier trebelled prices last year. thanks, TL. Also agreed about Goretex not ideal for our climate & water n over the top. I have written about this previously. Most people just go with the advertising/herd mantality without understanding the material/physical applications. I use the original Lowa mountain boot with the thick cambrelle lining instead of goretex and they are a superior longer lasting, more comforatble boot to the goretex versions. Warmer in the winter too and quicker to dry out if wet inside - which I don't recall happening. Gaitors or puttees are very effective at stopping water ingress and soaking of the lower leg + good at countering rough vegetation & brambles. The Lowa boots can be comprehensively resoled professionally by the UK Lowa authorised repairer - for about £65. That is not cheap by any means but it is half the price of a new pair and they will be as new(unless you have a goretex lining that has worn out - which they may also replace??). That is good value for the quality of boot and means the boots can have a very long lifespan.

(21 May 2012, 11:37)Bug_out_Bag Wrote:

Can't get the link to work...

Try again.

Great reply, can I have the address to send the Lowa boots too? I have some that need re-soling.

Also, when I can afford it I am going to invest in some leather soled and hobnailed hill/fell boots. Made the old fashioned way to a really old design. They will last a lifetime.

I am a firm believer in old fashioned simple ways to do clothing and footwear. Keep it simple.
The Market Stick
21 May 2012, 12:00,
Sorry, you will need to type that address into your browser. Whenever I post links here they never seem to work i don't know why Dodgy

Cheap boots are good for caching, good for everyday rambling and running around and they are lightweight and durable, I have two pairs of expensive boots too. ... like handbags ... you can't have too many pairs of boots can you? Smile
21 May 2012, 12:04,
http://www.britishmilitarysurplus.co.uk/index.html

A link I use from the same site.
Try Anchor supplies too.

Lowa Boot resole --> Lancashire Sports repairs Ltd
Burnley 01282 439109

My ethos is the same when it comes to kit & durability. Hi-tech is good for tech stuff and that has to be robust too. For Low tech kit, then historical tried & tested materials have a lot going for them. All this mountain gear in bright colours looks good in a shop window, performs well on a mountain etc, but its lifespan is somewhat less (unless you pay a fortune for it), but it will not fare so well in an extended heavy wear situation when compared to many old fashioned material designs. The same goes for some of the military kit. There will be no stores for replacement kit issue or repair. When scientists recently tested a VIKING style fishermans cold/wet weather clothing against the performance of the modern all in one outfits, the Viking one was superior. that was basically an oiled leather outer with a wool inner. there is something to be learned from that.
21 May 2012, 12:05,
(21 May 2012, 12:00)Bug_out_Bag Wrote: Sorry, you will need to type that address into your browser. Whenever I post links here they never seem to work i don't know why Dodgy

Cheap boots are good for caching, good for everyday rambling and running around and they are lightweight and durable, I have two pairs of expensive boots too. ... like handbags ... you can't have too many pairs of boots can you? Smile

Never! I have some I don't wear, they are too precious. They are in my "Break glass in case of emergency" boot stock.
The Market Stick
21 May 2012, 19:47,
I only wear boots... I have one pair of shoes I got married in. After wearing out many pairs of boots on the bike, some cheap some expensive, I got a pair of cheap rigger boots. About £25, and the things are indestructible! ...and I really am an infamous boot destroyer (and watch, trousers etc). They are just heavy leather, but I would keep them waxed, and they are as waterproof enough for wading through puddles when out off-roading in the 4x4 (have to walk unfamiliar obstacles first). On the bike only rubber boots are waterproof enough for a long, motorway ride in bad weather, but waxed leather lasts a lot longer than gortex. But for walking pace those boots are pretty good. Steelies can give you blisters though. They are actually better made than any of my £80 boots, and available pretty much everywhere for peanuts. The label says 'Grafters' and has a G-clamp logo.
21 May 2012, 23:28,
I hope you don't wear steelies for riding your motorbike!