Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
4 Stage Reverse Osmosis System
14 October 2012, 00:48,
4 Stage Reverse Osmosis System
Hi
4 Stage Reverse Osmosis System, Can anyone explain these to me please?

Am i right i thinking that these units can make sea water drinkable? and i notice there are many stages of this unit, what is the recomended minimum for say water from a lake or a stream, to make it ok? I also notice that some need a pump, and some not?

When i store water, would it make any differance if i filter it first?

I have seen these for sale boasting 75 gallons a day of clean water. so was thinking whats the catch?
14 October 2012, 06:43,
RE: 4 Stage Reverse Osmosis System
this might help Reverse Osmosis system

filtering water before storing it wont hurt , adding a little miltons fluid to it will help too ( only a couple of drops per liter ) you can also buy special liquids that help long term storage up to 5 years but if you change the water every year you wont need it . Reverse Osmosis systems are good and effective but there are others system out there that are simpler if you dont live next to the sea like the Berkey Water Filter for one
14 October 2012, 09:30,
Careful with Milton sterilising fluid, Campers and motorcaravanners have discovered that in even weak concentrations it destroys many plumbing componants used in the liesure / camping and survivalist communities.

14 October 2012, 11:05, (This post was last modified: 14 October 2012, 11:11 by IB1.)
When i used it for cleaning a tank I just filled the tank with the right concentration, left it for a couple of hours and then flushed it through. I cant remember if i read it on the instructions that came with the tablets or on the internet where I got the instructions for cleaning a tank from, but i'm sure i read something similar to what NR said
I just looked at my box of milton tabs and it says there is no need to rinse things like babies bottles after sterilysing with milton at 1 : 5 concentration so i assume i read it on the tank cleaning instructions. In fact the box actually says not to rinse. I'll see if i can find the pdf on cleaning tanks and see what it said, it was from a caravan site.
You have the right to hold any beliefs you want. You do not have the right to have those beliefs automatically respected
14 October 2012, 11:12,
I would filter all water as much as you can via a cloth as it saves on the expensive and hard to replace filters in your system. The more you can filter, via sand, cloth, etc. the longer your system will last.

Plus Milton can attach the membranes on filters and enlarge the holes, invisible to our view, that allows the bad stuff through. I wouldn't add any either.

These systems are heavily used in the marine area on boats. They don't all need external power but the throughput is much lower. However, in the end it is a single sheet of plastic membrane with microscopic holes. A rip, tear, enlarged holes and it is useless.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin