Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
survival suits
16 October 2012, 21:25,
survival suits
Hi,
I was thinking about if we had to bug out in a hurry,in the winter, and
i was thinking that on my boat i have survival suits for much the same reasons, warm,waterproof,all in one suit, although bright orange could be a good way of keping warm while resting/sleeping until we got to our destination and set up camp.
My thorghts are that they would be good especialy for older and younger members.
What are your thorghts??
16 October 2012, 21:34,
RE: survival suits
If the survival suits are like totally immersion proof then anyone wearing them is going to end up very ill and dehydrated after a few hours, In the army we were limited to wearing rubber boots and gloves for extended periods with our NBC gear because it caused dehydration, cramps and nausea.
I would just go for decent lightweight sleeping bags.

16 October 2012, 22:51,
I remember about 20 years ago when these became 'affordable' and all of the nuggets got them for fishing on Shields pier in the winter through the day. Did not plan on falling in so I stuck with my normal stuff - walking kit, ex-army kit, gortex trousers and coat got for free from someone who worked for BT.

As NR said, the survival suits are are going to cause people to get too hot. Plus, all of the ones I have seen are bright orange - not so good for hiding and they are cumbersome to move in. Once piece to much of a pain to put on and take off when needed as compared to a separate set of trousers and jacket.

I have a Swedish army forage jacket, nice thing, wool, fits really well. On top of this when I need it I wear a Swedish army jeep coat, couple of sizes too large - has a removable liner so can be worn with or without and you can really wrap yourself up in it. Was out in it when it was bleating it down with sleet end of last year - sat down for an hour or two, with decent trousers and long johns, boots and hat, as long as I was wriggling the fingers and toes I was fine.

If I had got out of the sleet and the worst of the wind I am sure I could have slept in it.
16 October 2012, 23:01,
Worked on a boat once, was told I wouldnt last long in one, if your tall you will be doubled over like the hunch back of natre dame
17 October 2012, 10:33,
mate of mine had one of these survival suits a few years ago, he looked like "Michelin Man" in it!Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
17 October 2012, 17:44,
Youd be better off with one of the freezer suits they use in deep freeze warehouses....
Like so...http://www.industrialworkwear.com/cat/freezer-wear/freezer-wear/product/click-coldstar-freezer-coverall
I tried to be normal once.... Worst two minutes of my life...
17 October 2012, 18:19,
I'm not 100% sure what a survival suit is like, but I've worn a wetsuit during the day when all my clothes at uni were in the wash. I was FRICKING HOT!!!!! And not just in the sexy way haha. I was melting all day, even when I opened my suit into a half suit (rolled down so that it's just covering the waist down.

Not sure what the survival suits would be like, but I'm not a huge fan of the idea, if they're like wetsuits!!!
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
17 October 2012, 22:09,
HI,
The suits i have are not made of rubber, and are used on deck when the weather starts turning bad
at sea and there is a chance you could end up overboard. Yes they are hot when used for fun inside
but when its blowing a gale the heat is welcome lol.
not sure what there made of but it is like a strong nylon? (i will fish one out and let you know) i do know the material
is breathable and comfey to wear,when you get the correct size, i am six four, and its fine to work in.
But your right about the colour, could blend in ok in a pumpkin field? maybe?
14 November 2012, 22:48,
I purchased a Sundrige`En-tec2` thermal bouyancy suit, I got it for winter conditions on the hills,... this one is a two piece set, the trousers came up to the chest.
It certainly did turn out to be far too hot for walking, even in the coldest of weather,.... so what I did was reduce the trousers down to the waist, and removed some of the floatation stuffing from the back of the jacket,...and now its a perfecty suit for the winter

Its not bright orange either, its a dark blue and red
A major part of survival is invisibility.