Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
72 Hour Kits
1 November 2011, 15:26,
RE: 72 Hour Kits
Lock knives are illegal in the UK without a 'good reason' to carry them (going camping is a good reason, going to ASDA isn't).
By all means carry a pen-knife at all times but ensure it's less than 3 inches long and doesn't lock.
Doctor Prepper: What's the worst that could happen?
1 November 2011, 16:29,
I went as a witness to a court a few weeks ago and they wouldn't let me in because my swiss army knife had a blade that was too long by their standard. They said they would confiscate or destroy the knife if I wanted to go in. I refused and didn't go in. The funny part is that I have to go back in a few weeks because they needed a particular witness, me, how much is a court session plus all the witnesses? I considered taking it again and seeing what happens. It's legal. The downside is that my pal may have to go back again or do without his witness so that will not go down well so I may have to leave it behind.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
1 November 2011, 21:30, (This post was last modified: 1 November 2011, 21:33 by NorthernRaider.)
Hah, last year the outdoorsy section of one of our local universities nagged and nagged me to come and give a talk and presentation on Prepping and survivalism. It tok them over a year to persuade to do it.

Anyhho I turned up on the day to the conference room block they had organised, they had organised food, slide show machines, set up the place for dewbating afterwards etc. Unfortunately they had not talked to the concierge on the door who stopped me when I can to sign in, and he asked me what was in my bags. " my survival kits I replied, cookers, medical kits, food,cloths, tools, maps knives etc".

KNIVES he replied, " You cant bring them into campus you may attack someone"

OK I replied " you can explain to the 60 people in room 207 that their guest speaker is not coming because if I cant bring in my complete kit I'm going home"

Off home I went, and I wont go back unless they sack the idiot concierge.
Its also why I stopped using trains since they now have airport security type scanners at many stations.

2 November 2011, 11:30,
The concierge did the right thing, he doesn't make policy, he enforces it.
You had the opportunity to show 60 people that the rules were unnecessarily restrictive. You could have explained to them that you were regrettably unable to show them some of what you had planned because of the overly protective nanny-state attitude. You could have got them on board.
What they will take away from this is that survivalism people are untrustworthy, don't keep their promises and are prone to make rash decisions.
What a shame you walked away.
Doctor Prepper: What's the worst that could happen?
2 November 2011, 13:10,
NR,

As Skvez said the posh doorman only enforces the policies. He did the right thing. He is morelikely to get sacked by letting you in and his own views are irrelevant.

You rely on the organiser stating what is and is not allowed in. My view is that I shouldn't have to check if everything I carry is allowed. They need to start their restrictions up front.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
2 November 2011, 14:45,
might have been better if you had just said"my survival kit, i'm giving a talk on it",NR and left it at that, that guy was only a glorified porter anyway!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.