Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
72 Hour Kits
27 August 2011, 12:14,
72 Hour Kits
http://72hours.org/

Not sure if this is right area but I thought the following was interesting!

Ter
17 October 2011, 05:29,
RE: 72 Hour Kits
Thank you for this Terry, i'd missed this completely, and only discovered it this morning. It's time I removed the blinkers. Kenneth Eames.
24 October 2011, 19:46,
WHAT SHOULD A BOB CONTAIN?
© 2010 Northern Raider

This is a list of items you MAY wish to put in a Bug Out Bag

Food, Minimum 3 days frieze dried or dehydrated per person
Nutrition or ration bars
Water, 1 or 2 litres, plus water puritabs
Pocket Water Filter (Like a Katadyn)
Camping stove / Hexamine cooker plus extra fuel
Lighter & waterproof matches (stormproof)
Metal cooking pot / Metal mug
Tea / Coffee/ Sugar / Whitener
Tea Towel & Nylon Scourer
Ziplock bags and Cooking foil
Sachets or tiny bottle of Washing Up Liquid
Metal KFS or Spork (1 set each)
First Aid Kit plus script meds
Change of clothes and underwear / socks
Waterproofs
Hand Towel
Washing and hygiene kit (soap, toothbrush minimum)
AM/FM Portable radio with spare batteries
Flashlight plus spare batteries (1 per person)
Folding Lock Knife / pocket sharpener in pouch (1 each)
Pocket Multi Tool (1 each)
Compass in Mils and Degrees on lanyard (1 each)
OS 1; 50,000 Maps of your area (marked with travel route options)
Notebook and Pen (with BO routes, safe places, caches etc listed)
Travel Guide of resident town / city
Permanent Marker (Sharpie etc)
Duct tape / Para Cord / Cable Ties
Packet of Dust Masks (3 per person)
Pair of Safety Goggles (1 per Person)
Toilet Paper / Baby Wipes / Hand Steriliser
Hat & Gloves
Feminine Hygiene Products
Spare set of your Prescription Meds, Eye Glasses, Etc

Machete / Prybar / Hatchet / Heavy Camp Knife
Length of climbing rope plus Karabiners
Folding Shovel
Folding Wood Saw
Heavy Duty Bin Bags
Ground Sheet / Nylon Tarp
Sleeping Bag & Liner (1 per person)

Cell phone plus solar charger

Folding Hiking Pole

25 October 2011, 12:51,
Northern Raider, have you actually put all that together?
I bet it would easily fill a 70+10L rucksac probably more.
Doctor Prepper: What's the worst that could happen?
25 October 2011, 13:52,
i have a 25litre GHB/BOB/emergency bag (contents are listed on http://www.preppersUK.freeforums.org) i try to keep it as light as possible.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
27 October 2011, 18:33,
The one thing a lot of people seem to forget is a good old British army issue gas mask.
I have one securely strapped to the back of my BOB with two spare filters .
I have it in case of attack by tear gas and/or other unpleasant airborne nasties that our beloved Goverment may see fit to throw in my direction if TSHTF and the streets turn nasty.

Northern raider. That's a good list but I'd be surprised if you could carry all that equipment very far before your BOB became too heavy and you had to ditch some of the heavier stuff.
There's no Justice, There's Just Us.

27 October 2011, 20:57,
Who says you have to carry your BOB ?, Actually much of the kit is simply in my possesion either in the home or in the BOV, But from food down to specs fits nicely in my Soldier 95 Rucksack with the sleeping bag on the top. I carry far less in my EDC bag Smile

28 October 2011, 00:27,
dont have a bag, carry you kit on you belt and pouches with a vest carrys most things you need.
if you have to walk you need to be light look at what you really need and with thing straped to your body you move freely and faster
to win the war, you must be willing to die
28 October 2011, 09:15, (This post was last modified: 28 October 2011, 09:17 by Reality Jones.)
(27 October 2011, 20:57)NorthernRaider Wrote: Who says you have to carry your BOB ?

???? If you can't carry your BOB then doesn't it cease to be a BOB and become something else? You might as well pack a suitcase with wheels and keep that to hand.

(28 October 2011, 09:15)Reality Jones Wrote:
(27 October 2011, 20:57)NorthernRaider Wrote: Who says you have to carry your BOB ?

???? If you can't carry your BOB then doesn't it cease to be a BOB and become something else? You might as well pack a suitcase with wheels and keep that to hand.

And I don't mean pack a suitcase full of wheels, get a suitcase with wheels and use that is what I meant Confused
There's no Justice, There's Just Us.

28 October 2011, 12:10, (This post was last modified: 28 October 2011, 12:13 by NorthernRaider.)
Your BOB ideally is man portable, but the other tools are ideal for sharing out among the rest of the family. If theres nly one of you you simply dont need everything. Its a guide not a bible Smile
(28 October 2011, 00:27)grumpy old man Wrote: dont have a bag, carry you kit on you belt and pouches with a vest carrys most things you need.
if you have to walk you need to be light look at what you really need and with thing straped to your body you move freely and faster

Very valid point, a large part of what is desribed as BOB kit is actually supposed to remain on your person..
I did this snippet a little while ago that may help clarify my position ( or just annoy BrianSmile )

Putting to much faith in BOBS is bad for your safety
http://preppersuk.freeforums.org
© 2010 Northern Raider

I’m starting to get just a bit concerned about some folks putting their blind faith in Bug Out Bags and the issues involved in having all your eggs in one basket.

Try and imagine the worst case scenario happening and you according plan grab your BOB and head out into yonder wilderness with your life support system on your back.

Confident? Well Equipped? Ready for Armageddon or a Tea Party Rally OK so what is your plan if you become SEPARATED from your BOB?

Suppose, just suppose for a moment you are crossing a river and your BOB gets swept away, or your abseiling down the side of a hill and the bag breaks free and falls out of reach, consider being woken in the middle of the night to find a predator either with teeth or a gun has got the drop on you and the only choice is to run, Or you wake up to find your shelter ablaze and you only have time to get yourself to safety, or you get robbed, or the govt confiscates it, or more than likely when TSHTF you are at location A and your BOB is at location B.

Watcha going to do? (no ramboesque BS please).

Time after time proud Preppers have honoured me by asking them to critique their BOBS, and though not in all cases, in many I find these well prepped folks have ALL
Their kit in a bag of some sort, but that bag is no good to them if they don’t have it with them when they need it.

I respectfully believe your essentials should be about your person, in your pockets, hanging off your belt etc (EDC style), not hanging on the back of the office door 10 floors away, or in the trunk of your car three streets away.
Now it is not my role to tell you what are the ‘ESSENTIALS’ in your survival plans that is for you to decide depending on your lifestyle, location and threat assessment, BUT surely ( Shirley) such basic items as a
Gun (US of A)

Lock knife
Multi Tool
Compass
Lighter
Flashlight
Bandana / Kerchief
Specs / Shades
Some cash
Length of Paracord
Few Water Puri-tabs

should be your permanent companions at all times, this giving you a huge percentage increase in surviving should you be deprived from your BOB. Don’t forget Homers law “You won’t have your bag when you need it most” ‘Doh’
NR