Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How's the harvest
27 October 2012, 18:47, (This post was last modified: 27 October 2012, 18:50 by Straight Shooter.)
RE: How's the harvest
by lunar cycle i mean .....you work to the moons cycle there are some great results (by some of the locals) bigpaul will prob know more ....i am now looking into it big time but don,t know enough to give you any meaningfull advice....all i can tell you is alot of people around here seem to be using this method " with real good results " there you go juise ! good luck !
sorry JUICE
27 October 2012, 20:40,
Most of my crop became slug food this year. I did get some tomatoes and actually brought in the last of them to rippen on the vine a few days ago.
Had a few sugar snap peas.
After my initial potatoes were destroyed I planted more which are growing in a greenhouse with a heater... not sure what will happen.
Had lots of berries of all sorts this year and lots of apples, but no cherries.
Everything else failed.
28 October 2012, 08:36,
turned the hay crop into silage and was about 20% up on the rapeseed crop so not a bad year
28 October 2012, 08:47,
We got carrier bags full of runner beans, so we made loads of chutney
Woe to those who add house to house and join field to field, Until there is no more room, So that you have to live alone in the midst of the land!
Isaiah 5:8
28 October 2012, 13:00,
(28 October 2012, 08:47)Tibbs735 Wrote: We got carrier bags full of runner beans, so we made loads of chutney

mine was crap but the runners done well ,as it was my first time growing food fort it was me so happy all you lot faired the same ,well dont mean happy your garden was crap just that it wasnt meSmile
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
28 October 2012, 16:21,
Potatoes will see me through until March I think, onions has been the worst year I have ever had - have not bought onions for years, imagine I should be buying them in January I think - simply down to weather - no sun and lots of rain. Have put away quite a bit og garlic and shallots however. Never suffered slugs on onions like I did this year, same for all crops. Very early brassica did well, stuff sowed april and may poor. Sweetcorn has been surprisingly good.

In the greenhouse lots of tomatoes, but did not start picking red ones until the very end of August - normally get my first the end of June. Cucumbers OK, melons poor.

Peas were terrible down to weather, have not frozen any, but still have some in the freezer from last year even tho I eat them regular. French beans terrible, did not start picking until September and then had nothing more than a couple of handfuls - normally eating them 5 times a week mid July on and freezing.

No apples, blossom blown off the trees by a frost but late rasberries doing very well.

Overall this year, I would say we have had 1/3 of the decent light we need to get good produce, GOK how much rain, double? More slugs than I have ever seen. Next year going to burn the bottoms out of the hedges around my place and although have never used a slug pellet before, they will be going down around the margins.