Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Hello from Newcastle
29 October 2012, 14:06,
RE: Hello from Newcastle
(29 October 2012, 13:47)Scythe13 Wrote: Thanks GR.

Really good answer.

Do you have much outdoor experience and are you urban based, suburb, or rural? No postcodes please haha.

Not as much experience as I would like. I don't know anyone with similar interests as mine & I had it drummed into me from a young age, always do stuff in pairs if there is any risk of injury. I managed to slice my thumb in half with a power saw when I was alone so can you imagine if I was out in the hills by myself using a knife Big Grin

I love camping & can't wait until my lad is older to start taking him. Same for sea fishing. My dad has a boat (well 2 actually) so I go whenever the www permits (work, wife & weather). I used to go walking a lot but not so much since I settled down.

I'm from a place called North Shields. Basically a town right on the mouth of the Tyne but was brought up in a medium sized village where everyone knew each other.

29 October 2012, 14:17,
Wait until he's old enough? I don't have kids, but my sister was taking her daughter out camping (fortnightly) when she was 2. I think Binary, who has disappeared, is going to be taking his little'n out at about the same age. Since I don't know the age of your kid, I could very well be speaking out of turn.

As for practicing your knife skills, considering how you've been with your thumb, I'd get to practicing those things. As a great exercise, practice making a spook from a piece of wood. Or a knife, or fork, or all of them.

Have you got a plan of action?
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
29 October 2012, 14:17,
hello and welcome from norfolkSmile
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
29 October 2012, 14:31,
My lad is 3. While I've taken him on camping holidays before, I don't think my wife would let me taking camping away from a main site. His 1st night in a tent was before his 1st birthday.

At risk of sounding like a armchair prepper, I've tried doing a few things in the house & garden (water filters, solar still & penny can stoves) but not much else so far.

I don't have a plan as such, just prep a bit of everything I can whenever I can. Rather than just concentrate on food, try to spread my preps to cover food, weapons, shelters, clothing, water, cooking items (camp stoves, gas bottles & the like).

Because I was (in my eyes) an outdoors type person when I was younger & holidayed in tents where you bring everything you need with you, I think I've given myself & my family a bit of a head start on some fronts.

I also grow veg in my garden already, so have knowledge & equipment for this should it be needed post event.
29 October 2012, 14:35,
(29 October 2012, 14:31)Geordie_Rob Wrote: At risk of sounding like a armchair prepper, I've tried doing a few things in the house & garden (water filters, solar still & penny can stoves) but not much else so far.

Thats not armchair prepping thats experimentation.

29 October 2012, 14:38,
we all go out an mess about....personally my garden is so bloody overgrown its more of a wilderness than the rest of the countryside xD
29 October 2012, 14:38,
Hey with Geordie and Badger we have the beggining of a prepper navy, that will go well with my plans to invade Tristan de Cuhna , St Helena and Kerguelen ( have to nick the last one off the French). And of course Skean Dhude will be really exited cos he still has his little sailor outfit and a love of rum, the lash and buggery Smile

29 October 2012, 14:43,
we could all sail out to sealand and overthrow the current government (1 family)
29 October 2012, 14:45,
(29 October 2012, 14:43)Hrusai Wrote: we could all sail out to sealand and overthrow the current government (1 family)

He died last week.
I want to take over someplace remote like Kerguelen.

29 October 2012, 15:04,
(29 October 2012, 14:31)Geordie_Rob Wrote: My lad is 3. While I've taken him on camping holidays before, I don't think my wife would let me taking camping away from a main site. His 1st night in a tent was before his 1st birthday.

Because I was (in my eyes) an outdoors type person when I was younger & holidayed in tents where you bring everything you need with you, I think I've given myself & my family a bit of a head start on some fronts.

I also grow veg in my garden already, so have knowledge & equipment for this should it be needed post event.

That's a damn good head start to have!!! Way more than I had.....and probably more than I currently do have haha.

The stuff in and around the house is vital practice. If your garden doesn't have a fire-pit, a few holes from solar stills, and a shed of half made projects....then you're not a real prepare!!! haha
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin