Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bicycle BOVS
27 October 2012, 22:12,
Bicycle BOVS
Just a thought but could we get the cycling types to produce a guide on bike or bike componant selection so folks can equip themselves with the best value for money bug out bike or EDC bike??

I'm sensing quite a few knowlegable perambulating bicyclists using the forum lately.

27 October 2012, 22:18,
RE: Bicycle BOVS
The only thing I know is I dont like suspension.
27 October 2012, 22:41,
Suspension is your friend, as long as its decent and well maintained. Going off road with a rigid bike is a really really good way to hurt yourself. With all of the extra weight you'd be carrying its potentially fatal. Any sudden jarring would throw you off. As long as you have a decent set up, on a decent bike ( nothing from toysrus ) then your far better off.

On the flip side there is a lot more that will go wrong on a bike with suspension, disc brakes and 30 gears. But if you buy quality and get a few spares you'll be a lot better off Smile

“When an empire fears for its survival, its prime has passed.”
28 October 2012, 07:26, (This post was last modified: 28 October 2012, 07:41 by Lightspeed.)
I Posted this to Scythe 13 on another thread a few weeks back, but it may be useful including it here as well?

I have ridden some very high mileages on trecking bikes on the road. My own load carrier is configured to get me to my bug out location with 40Kg of kit. The BOL is approx 25 Km by road. I have no experience of carrying this sort of weight on true mountain tracks. For road and light (walkable) tracks, I have found that suspension is more of a problem than benefit as it robs energy, reduces control and adds to all up rolling weight.

My BOV bike's a 30 year old Diamond Back. 26” wheels and small sloping geometry frame made from True-Temper steel with braze on-s for pannier racks / mudguards. It has non-suspension heavy duty steel forks, again with braze-ons for mudguards and pannier racks.

So many components changed over the years that it like Trigg’s Broom.
Pannier racks are tubular steel as its more robust and repairable than aluminium.
Panniers, bar bag and rack top bag are excellent Caradice brand in green waterproof material.

TIP: check e-bay / car boot sales / refuse tips for good brand really old school mountain bikes. Straight ( not bent) steel frames with braze-on's for racks and mudguards, and steel handlebar and stem are desirable. Old thumb shift gear changers are good to look for as they will operate forever and are highly fixable.

Very often really good bikes get purchased for Christmas with an intention of getting fit and then get put in the back of the shed after it is found to be too much hard work!!! ( Bit like Gym sign-ups)….so there are many as new bikes that show up.

Check that the saddle post and handlebar stem are not seized with rust / corrosion before proceeding.

Assuming you find a good candidate frame you'll need to overhaul it completely

Consider doing the following:
• remove and grease steerer, seatpost, and all braze on bolts ( Coppaslip is good for long life re-greasing of these parts.
• Replace braze-on bolts with SS if you can) .
• Fit new bearings to headset and bottom bracket.
• Rebuild the pedal bearings or replace with good quality pedals.
• If the wheels are true re build the wheel bearings,
• fit new rim tape, tubes and tyres.
• Replace brake pads.
• Remove brake cables and gear change cables with good quality replacements.

This will prob end up costing as much as a budget bike from Cycle King or Halfords but will result in a strong and reliable Bug out Bike combined with the knowledge and tools needed to keep it running when there are no more repair shops…

Don't discount a Tandem bicycle

Not really so much a BOV but as a post event long range transport solution.

Forget the funny ha-ha image of a tandem that will immediately come to mind.

Well set up tandems are a highly efficient way for two people to travel very long distances under their own steam, and at good speeds.

It is entirely viable to count on being able to cover 100 miles per day on a fairly mundane machine. With training and experience, this can be doubled. Provided drinking water can be sourced it is entirely viable to acieve 1000+ Km in 5 days, completely self supported ( meaning carrying all foodstuffs and kit needed. Of course safe houses / caches en route can extend this further.

LS

Also consider this: A tandem is capable of carrying non cyclists as well. It is not uncommon for them to be set up to carry youngsters, disabled people or just non cycling partners
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

28 October 2012, 08:49,
Also check your local auction yard, the one near where I live is practically giving bikes away.
Woe to those who add house to house and join field to field, Until there is no more room, So that you have to live alone in the midst of the land!
Isaiah 5:8
28 October 2012, 09:48, (This post was last modified: 28 October 2012, 09:50 by BrixhamBadger.)
Rolleyes [Image: fj4fbbfea9.jpg] Wink
Confused Or if you are a little paranoid... [Image: gt4fbc068f.jpg] Big Grin
Dodgy If you always have, on your person, at least 2 ways to make fire, you might be a prepper. Tongue
28 October 2012, 13:41,
mates are a great place to get hold of old bikes, if theres neglected looking one i always ask if they're chuckin it, and if so i'll take it to the dump for them for a fiver lol

also how much would you guesstimate that building up a bike like you posted would cost?...nothing exact or anything just a very rough approximation Smile
28 October 2012, 22:28,
great info all, thanks
Do not rush to meet Death, he may not wish to see you.
28 October 2012, 22:52,
(28 October 2012, 13:41)Hrusai Wrote: mates are a great place to get hold of old bikes, if theres neglected looking one i always ask if they're chuckin it, and if so i'll take it to the dump for them for a fiver lol

also how much would you guesstimate that building up a bike like you posted would cost?...nothing exact or anything just a very rough approximation Smile

Depends on where you get the parts, but probably ₤100 - 150 for a full refurbishment. The cycle auctions that tour the UK are the best places to get low cost parts.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

30 October 2012, 17:23, (This post was last modified: 30 October 2012, 17:49 by Navigator.)
On yer bikes..Smile

[Image: FamilyBikingZ.jpg]
Below- My bike in mid-Wales some years ago, I crossed the width of Wales from the coast near Aberystwyth into England in a day (about 80 miles).
The trick is to NEVER PUSH THE PACE, just take regular food nibble breaks every few miles sitting against a farm gate, and always walk up hills, that way you can go on forever like a perpetual motion machine, dawn to dusk..Smile
With cycling, the back wheel takes all the weight, not your legs, my sleeping bag and spare clothes are crammed into the saddlebag, my tent and food bag are lashed on top with rubber straps, and the orange waterproof cagoule is thrown over the lot-

[Image: cycle-campWales1.gif]
THE BIKE IS KING..Smile
Some stock pics off the net-

[Image: push9.jpg]

Don't be afraid to load your bike, your knees won't be taking the weight-
[Image: push7.jpg]

Remember, walk up all hills, there's no hurry-
[Image: push2.jpg]

Exploring-
[Image: push8.jpg]

[Image: push4.jpg]

Scotland. Would you rather trudge down that road with a rucksack on your back, or roll down it on a bike?..Wink
[Image: scotland-cyclist1.jpg]
MY BIKE again, this was a ride from Leicester to Paris and back (800 miles over 8 days).
Top- entering Amiens on day 3.
Bottom- in Paris on day 4.
[Image: cycle-70s.gif]