Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bicycle BOVS
26 September 2013, 11:32,
RE: Bicycle BOVS
(26 September 2013, 11:23)bigpaul Wrote:
(26 September 2013, 11:16)Scythe13 Wrote:
(26 September 2013, 10:11)Kiril Wrote: Here's a question, couldn't somebody quite easily pull you off the bike? Plus motorists even in everday life they can be aggressive, imagine what they would be like WROL, running people down just for the fun of it...
That's a very fair question.

Personally, if I do opt to bike it (unlikely) I'd ride at night and stop now and again to check the area I was in. Also, roads would be fine...about 2 weeks after a SHTF situation, but only for short periods of time. Cruising on the roads won't be ideal, but there will be opportunities to move quickly with the roads free of cars.
there was a case recently where a female jogger was seriously injured when a trip wire was hung NECK high across a bridge, you wont be able to see this at NIGHT, also someone might have NIGHT vision goggles(we've talked about that often enough on this site) you might want to revise your plan and travel at dawn and dusk when you might at least be able to SEE these sorts of obstacles.

Agreed, but those cases are few and far between. Since she didn't see the wire while jogging in day time, not much chance of seeing the wire in day time anyway. Glad I plan on walking and running most the distance.

Just stick to very open places that a wire can hardly be strung across.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
26 September 2013, 12:11,
In a mass exodus bug out, push bikes will be a great asset.

We plan on evacuating by car, fast and light, but carrying bikes with us. We'll drive as far as we possibly can with the full expectation of meeting gridlock at some point. And when we do, we'll immediately decant onto bikes along with our GHBs.

Most people will be heading in the same direction. At first most people will be loathe to part with their precious cars and will wait around for gridlocks to clear. By the time they work out that the gridlocks are not going to disappear, we'll be long gone.

Yes, booby traps neck high wires, armed gangs etc. are all possible spokes in the wheels of a bicycle bug out plan ( good un eh?) but in early stages of melt down, its unlikely that anyone will be thinking this way and the advantage of bicycle transport will still not be apparent to the majority of those fleeing in their cars.

Light and fast, that is key for us.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

26 September 2013, 12:16,
I am assuming by the time we decide to BO( first off we will be Bugging IN) ALL the roads will be impassable, so we are planning on going across country on bicycles, using rivers and pylons as reference points and hiding/resting up in the woods during the height of the day.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
26 September 2013, 12:25,
As i've probably mentioned i'm a bit of a technophobe/not a lover of change so my ideal bike will weigh a ton(steel)have one or three gears(sturmey archer) sturdy racks front and rear, i'm not expecting to use it til things settle down and a degree of normality has returned,mostly used on lanes tracks and roads(no off roading/downhill shenanigans) just want my stuff to be tough low maintenance and simple(all my stuff)like me Big Grin
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
26 September 2013, 12:27, (This post was last modified: 26 September 2013, 12:37 by bigpaul.)
sounds like the bicycle equivalent of a Hummer!Big GrinBig Grin

(26 September 2013, 11:32)Scythe13 Wrote: Just stick to very open places that a wire can hardly be strung across.

trouble with that is, in a very open space movement will be easily spotted by those we'd wish to avoid.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
26 September 2013, 12:50,
Our prep bikes are 26" wheeled rigid steel framed mountain bikes. Simple gear systems and V-brakes. They are old, relatively heavy, but ultra resilient.

The most critical part of our bicycle BOVs though is our legs. We invest a great deal in these. taking them out for frequent rides and making sure they are regularly lubricated with beer at various pubs on out training routes.

Joking aside, training is critical. It needs to be undertaken regularly and we need to train at a level beyond that predicted for our bug out plans. This year I've training on a fixed gear bike which has a special handicapping feature in the form of a 14Kg cocker Spaniel in a basket on the back. The spaniel is a heavy and demanding task master. She always likes to be at the head of the pack and shouts at loudly and unsympathetically if anyone ever gets ahead of us.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580