Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Hello from Lincoln
28 October 2012, 12:38,
Hello from Lincoln
Greetings all!
I am a new member to this forum, just posting for the first time.
My interest in prepping stems from meeting another prepper in Lincoln who has revived an interest in the subject. My personal goals are to get a 72-hour Bug-Out Bag completed and also to develop my communication capabilities in the event of a disaster. I hold an amateur Advanced license (I have held a license since the late 1960's) and have both HF and VHF/UHF equipment capable of battery power as well as portable antennas for HF and VHF.
Having lived in Canada for a number of years I have encountered incidents such as the Ice Storm of 1998:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Ameri...rm_of_1998
as well as the East Coast Blackout of 2003:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northeast_blackout_of_2003
plus numerous minor earthquakes, severe thunderstorms, snowstorms, and the occasional tornado! Therefore a degree of prepping is to some extent almost a way of life over there; we always had a MINIMUM of 7 days' food and water stored in the event of some natural or man-made disaster even though we lived in an urban rather than rural area. In fact, the Canadian government encourages everyone to maintain a 72-hour Bug-Out Bag.
I will look forward to reading more posts on here, as well as hopefully contributing.
Regards,
Keithb
Regards,
Keithb
LINCOLN
28 October 2012, 12:45,
RE: Hello from Lincoln
Hey Kieth you are welcome to our family, The guys you should touch base with first should be Paul, Light Speed, the Local Ned etc as they are all radioheads Hams CB etc. Also between them they have created a wonderful Radio Primer article which is probably still on the Comms section as well as the PDF files.

We will be delighted to work with you in helping you develop EDCs, BOBs, caches, comms etc.

Welcome aboard and remember the only stupid questions are the ones you dont ask.
NR

28 October 2012, 12:50,
hello and welcome from norfolkSmile
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
28 October 2012, 13:10,
welcome to the site dude!

looks like your starting from a much better position than most people do Smile

as NR says dont be shy to ask nothin, we're all happy to help

and most importantly, enjoy the site!
28 October 2012, 21:57,
Welcome, im lost when it comes to colms
29 October 2012, 07:12,
hello and welcome
29 October 2012, 08:29,
Hi Kieth
Welcome another newbie here from the top end of Lincolnshire
29 October 2012, 11:27,
Hi Keith,

Welcome to the forum.

Good to see you have a history in prepping. The 72hr Bag is a great little thing to have.

Do you have a family and kids? I've recently went from being single, to being double (not fat.....found the right woman) and now I'm having to almost double everything to take care of her.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
30 October 2012, 13:49,
(29 October 2012, 11:27)Scythe13 Wrote: Do you have a family and kids?

Unfortunately my wife died a couple of years ago and my daughter and her family still live in Canada so this is a solo prepping requirement.

Regards,
Keithb
LINCOLN
30 October 2012, 14:14,
Welcome to the forums, I'm the same as you on the BOB.
Would love to sit my amateur licence for radio.

Hope to hear your experience throughout the forum!
Failure is always an option.