Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
If the power went out for a week or so, I is there any realistic way of heating in?
29 October 2012, 23:50,
RE: If the power went out for a week or so, I is there any realistic way of heating in?

Oh my gosh! what's the problem?? Heat one room with either a calor gas heater or paraffin heater. No need for any fancy window coverings or workouts. A lot of people live without any form of central heating in their houses even now. Speaking as one who lived in just such a way for most of her life there really is no issue. By choice I still have no heat in my bedroom! You lot really do overcomplicate things sometimes.

Sailing away, not close to the wind.Heart
29 October 2012, 23:59,
RE: If the power went out for a week or so, I is there any realistic way of heating in?
(29 October 2012, 23:50)TOF Wrote: Oh my gosh! what's the problem?? Heat one room with either a calor gas heater or paraffin heater. No need for any fancy window coverings or workouts. A lot of people live without any form of central heating in their houses even now. Speaking as one who lived in just such a way for most of her life there really is no issue. By choice I still have no heat in my bedroom! You lot really do overcomplicate things sometimes.

Haha, very true.

We don't have heating where we live.....and I LOVE it!!! The misses snuggles up to me in bed, and that keeps her warm. Most nights I still throw the covers off me to help me cool down. But not everyone is a mini-radiator like me, which is useful for 3 months a year haha.

Oddly, I just went to post on here, then saw TOF's post. I was going to suggest, if you have a pet, get them near you. I'm sat with a cat on my lap, and it's like a hotwater bottle!!!
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
30 October 2012, 07:36,
Thats a very good point TOF, We happily lived without CH for many years, its amazing how quick you forget Smile

One of the things we used most often in the winter apart from the small gas fire was like skythe said, Hot water bottles. Our first house was all open plan downstairs with just a small gas fire to try and warm it all up which it never could. We used to sit directly in front of the fire with a quilt on and a couple of strategically placed hot water bottles, watching tv.

It wasnt all fun, lowering your arse onto an ice cold cold loo seat first thing in the morning was not an experience that i looked forward too Smile

You have the right to hold any beliefs you want. You do not have the right to have those beliefs automatically respected
30 October 2012, 08:21,
Flat does not have central heating, only room I heat is my living room with an electric oil filled radiator. If the power went off, I would have to rely on candles my dog and blankets. If power went off I would try and lower the ceiling by suspending loads of cardboard, or get some timber and try and build a box frame(bit like a kids fort) and cover it in blankets and try and keep warm
30 October 2012, 09:26,
heh yeah we only got CH in the last 5 years at most, ironically its meant we can't heat the house as much cause its so bloody electricity hungry...i think that was the biggest mistake of our lives in this house, getting rid of our agar....im still pissed about it, if only i had more say in the matter back when the estate got rid of it

but yes hot water bottles, pets and lovers are all fabulous ways to warm up Smile
30 October 2012, 09:54,
Metro, if you're anywhere near Howden I know a bloke who gets 6ftx3ft plywood nearly new condition for £5 a sheet. Can't remember if its 6mm or 9mm, sure it's 9. I keep a stock of them as ply always comes in handy.
30 October 2012, 10:02,
For some reason we lose power 2 or 3 times a year it can be anything from a few hours to 3 or 4 days. We have a multi fuel stove with a backboiler to provide the main source of heat we also have a genny connected to operate the pump for the radiators, lighting and sockets. We use the minimum amount lighting, turn on the the fridge and freezer occassionally to keep the temp down and for the T.V.
We have a multi fuel colman camping cooker and also a gas camping cooker. This set up works great for us and when we lost power a few years back for 4 days in the middle winter we had a houseful of guest and kept old people supplied with hot meals and drinks.
Failure is NOT an option
30 October 2012, 11:04,
That's really cool that you did that UKS. Good work and community love.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
30 October 2012, 12:33,
Calor Gas mobile heater..if you use it on 1 bar a cylinder will last you a month, get 2 cylinders so you always have a spare.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
30 October 2012, 13:28,
It was good we had a couple of mums with babies, 6 or 7 of my sons school friends and there mums and the rest were oap's. But the best thing is most of them now have secondary forms of heating, power and supply of food.
Failure is NOT an option