Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
If the power went out for a week or so, I is there any realistic way of heating in?
30 October 2012, 14:01,
RE: If the power went out for a week or so, I is there any realistic way of heating in?
Trying to keep my flat warm is a constant issue in my new flat if I switch the heating off. The place has plastic fans in the single glazed windows. Put a 2 layer of bubble wrap across the fans. Starting to warm up now, central heating costs so much and doesn't really do much. The bubble wrap has been more help, good way to spend £1 haha!
Failure is always an option.
30 October 2012, 23:49,
RE: If the power went out for a week or so, I is there any realistic way of heating in?
Talking of snuggling up to pets, ever wondered where the name of the band "Three Dog Night" comes from? Inuit and other northern-dwelling folk on the American continent will gauge the nightime temperature by how many sled dogs you need to bring into your shelter with you to keep warm. So, a four dog night is colder than a three dog night.

There's a guy in the northern US makes wood-burning camp stoves, called Four Dog stoves. Name comes from the same idea.

I always sleep with my dog when camping. Trouble is he wakes me up by licking my face at first light!
Find a resilient place and way to live, then sit back and watch a momentous period in history unfold.
31 October 2012, 09:48,
I just bought a paraffin heater (think calor and paraffin are the same?) to be collected today! Not sure where to buy paraffin though as while I have a bottle (4ltr) I thought it would be easy to find more... and its not (at a reasonable price anyhow).
We have central heating but actually have not used it this year as we choose to heat one room with a plug in heater as we find its enough and saves a bit of money.
Have attached a link on how to make a candel heater which provides some heat and 2 -3 of them in a room can warm it quite well.

http://www.tacticalintelligence.net/blog...heater.htm
31 October 2012, 09:54,
if you have Gas central heating and you have an air vent in the wall, DO NOT cover it up-like we did(it was straight through the wall and we used to get a howling gale coming INTO the flat) you will get horrendous headaches and nauseous ...it there for a reason!Tongue
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
31 October 2012, 10:04, (This post was last modified: 31 October 2012, 10:06 by NorthernRaider.)
(30 October 2012, 14:01)Neuralsandwich Wrote: Trying to keep my flat warm is a constant issue in my new flat if I switch the heating off. The place has plastic fans in the single glazed windows. Put a 2 layer of bubble wrap across the fans. Starting to warm up now, central heating costs so much and doesn't really do much. The bubble wrap has been more help, good way to spend £1 haha!

A foil lined roller blind will also reflect a lot of heat back into the room.
You guys are making me very nervous with your improvised heating and ventilation systems, please god make sure you have enough ventilation and you are not going to deplete the oxygen or poison yourself with carbon monoxide.

31 October 2012, 11:11,
For ventilation, I opt for plants.....outside haha.

A few plants is always a good idea in a house. Also, a small bowl of water to absorb carbon monoxide (placed infront of the gas heater). Can't hurt to keep the air moving. Maybe not a fan, but changing rooms now and again will fan the air and circulate new air from the other room.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
1 November 2012, 00:31, (This post was last modified: 1 November 2012, 00:35 by preservefreak.)
a couple of old school tricks you can do:

get some bubble wrap and spray one side lightly with water - it will adhere to glass then.

pin cheap fleeces to the out side of your curtains to reduce losing what little heat you generate.

If you are going to have any kind of non vented heating I really recommend you get a battery powered carbon monoxide detector. It's very cheap insurance.
or also you could make one of these for in front of your curtains. maybe line the face pointing into the room with foil:

http://www.hometone.com/entry/cardboard-window-blind/
Do not rush to meet Death, he may not wish to see you.
1 November 2012, 19:00,
Not forgetting the number 1 keep warm method. layered clothes. Keeps you warm inside and out. Take with you when you have to evac quick. No power requirements. Doesn't break down and you can get a lot cheaply, especially in the summer.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
1 November 2012, 23:57,
With thermals, check out Mountain Warehouse. Thermals usually 2 for 1 offer.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
2 November 2012, 10:13,
(1 November 2012, 19:00)Skean Dhude Wrote: Not forgetting the number 1 keep warm method. layered clothes. Keeps you warm inside and out. Take with you when you have to evac quick. No power requirements. Doesn't break down and you can get a lot cheaply, especially in the summer.

? thought the number one method of staying warm involved me and five nubile young wimmin?