Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cheap knives
30 October 2012, 12:08,
RE: Cheap knives
For defence, you'd need to be outside or in an open space to swing a machete. A knife attack can be over in seconds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rm6N4VIEUdQ

So be careful about pulling out a machete. By the time you've got it out of it's sheath, it could be finished.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
30 October 2012, 13:21,
With machetes if they miss you can rush them, even if they hit you it might get stuck in bone and be able to control the oponent, you still might be able to win the fight.

With knives, I dont care how fast you are, you will get cut taking it off someone.
16 December 2012, 19:52,
Hi Geordie, by the user name its possible you are near me. I would recommend you don't buy a cheep knife at all. A knife is possibly the most important part of your kit and as in all things you get what you pay for. I had the problem that I wanted a great knife but couldn't afford the prices for decent quality handmade knives..... so I now make them myself. I will put up some pics if you are interested and am happy to get into some kind of how to on here.
16 December 2012, 19:57,
i've bought a lot of knives over my lifetime, i dont pay too much for them and i have had some good ones, nothing wrong with a cheap knife its the quality that counts not the price.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
16 December 2012, 21:04,
Don't plan on cutting a sheep's throat unless you've got a REALLY slender blade.
Suburban neighbours= stranger- danger.
17 December 2012, 09:19,
Making my own knives would be a great skill to have. How to's & pics would be great. If you speak to SD, he might post the article onto the main site.

As for the cheap knives, I've just bought a couple so I have them. The machete I bought sharpened up quite nicely. Not sure if it stays that way though as I've never had a chance to put it to use due to work & family commitments.

I'm in North Shields mate. How about yourself? Feel free to send me a private message if you don't want to tell the world.
17 December 2012, 15:33,
That machete in the link will be fine. It'll do for hacking branches etc (thin ones) - you're not going to take a tree down with any machete.

The blade will "flex" sideways slightly (I have one) but they're damn good for the money. I've abused mine and it's still going. Damn sharp after it had a fight with the dremmel.
There's something about a machete that scares most folk too.
17 December 2012, 16:27,
Beardy, don't you have some sharp object soon?
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
17 December 2012, 16:29,
(17 December 2012, 16:27)Scythe13 Wrote: Beardy, don't you have some sharp object soon?

Indeed I do Sir. High quality khukri's . Much better than a machete for chopping, due to the curved blade

Big Grin
17 December 2012, 17:48,
(17 December 2012, 16:29)BeardyMan Wrote: High quality khukri's . Much better than a machete for chopping, due to the curved blade

I've a couple of these but am always interested in adding more. What blades do you have then, there are none on the web site.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin