Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cheap knives
17 December 2012, 19:10,
RE: Cheap knives
I am just up the valley then I am in Prudhoe. The how to is really surprisingly easy. My first project was a machette which I designed myself after searching loads of sites for one that would suit me. I looked at Kukris which I totally agree with BeardyMan are far superior to machette's due to the weight and shape. The standard machette you can buy is designed for brush clearance and is great in jungles but as our UK forests are generally a mix of hard/soft woods with little or no bush to clear the main use is lost. The kukris additional weght allows it to function more like a hatchet and makes it much more versatile for use in British bushcraft. One slight downfall to the Kukri is that unless you pay for a really good one they can be tourist standard only. These are the ornamental type sold in nepal for display and will usually be of inferior materials. You need a ghurka army issue kukri to have a chance of it lasting and being strong/sharp enough. My machette is the same grade steel as kukri steel a similar length and weight and the design allows it to be used for splitting, chopping and even fine slicing and cutting. Its cost is mainly from the tools required to make it and the sweat! I can't get the picture to attach will need to alter the format first!
17 December 2012, 21:02,
(17 December 2012, 17:48)Skean Dhude Wrote:
(17 December 2012, 16:29)BeardyMan Wrote: High quality khukri's . Much better than a machete for chopping, due to the curved blade

I've a couple of these but am always interested in adding more. What blades do you have then, there are none on the web site.

Waiting on stock chap. I'll put them on here first, then on the website
27 March 2013, 12:18,
Cheap knives for me = Frosts Mora (any of the range... I have the companion in carbon and stainless and they are superb, for heavier use there is the robust) price ranges between £10 and £15 usualy. Ray mears website sometimes does a deal 2 Mora robusts for £20.
Don't forget Opinel, fantastic little knives, take a wicked sharp edge and cheap as chips.
Mar sin leat
31 March 2013, 23:09,
If you are still looking for knives check out my videos on youtube- Northumbrimanknives123
An old scout is full of rescource, that is he can find a way out of any difficulty or discomfort. (Lord Robert Baden Powell)