• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Affordable Boil In Bag grub
30 October 2012, 21:28,
Affordable Boil In Bag grub
Thanks to AL, affordable boil In bag meals, scroll down the page on the link

http://www.lookwhatwefound.co.uk/Page/Pr...px?CatID=0

30 October 2012, 21:36,
RE: Affordable Boil In Bag grub
Been using this for about a year now great food but the shelf life is abit short for real longterm storage. Keep some in the house and about 12 in the BOV.
Failure is NOT an option
30 October 2012, 22:00,
A short shelflife. This is worse than the stuff you can get anywhere. Get tins or puches from your local supermarket instead. You will get a lot more bang for your money.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
30 October 2012, 22:23,
Look like nice products and a good site, thanks had never seen it before.

Looking at the nutritional info tho they range between 150- 250 Kcal (not counting the Korma as that will be full of cream) and in the non-sedentary lifestyle lifestyle you would undertake and no central heating, you are going to be after 2500-3000 Kcal a day minimum, perhaps a decent amount more. Think about when you have done heavy physical work for a couple of days on the trot, you really hammer into the grub, found that especially when I have been doing site labouring work I was eating a hell of a lot.

Saying that, going off a £/Kcal is no perfect measure otherwise we would just buy blocks of lard. Compare asda smart price beans and sausages - 480kcal / can at 33p a can against asda smart price irish stew at 230 Kcal a can at 49p a can, the stew works out 3.5 times more expensive if measured purely on calories, but the stew has more varied veg in and I would wager tastes nicer.

Has given me an idea to put a £/Kcal table together for common stored foods and tinned goods at least.
31 October 2012, 20:13,
In a bug out situation, grams per kcal may also be important. When I hiked coast to coast across Scotland the other year I took freeze-dried products (much lighter than MREs because you add the water at the time of cooking - although you do have to cook them). I took a mixture of supermarket stuff and commercial backpacker meals. The supermarket ones were cheaper, and in many cases nicer, but the problem was the calories. I was burning in excess of 3000 per day and was finding it difficult replacing them. Lost a stone over the two weeks, which was welcome, but not an ideal situation. The specilised backpacking meals were much higher in calories.
Find a resilient place and way to live, then sit back and watch a momentous period in history unfold.