Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
new to everything
1 November 2012, 12:55,
RE: new to everything
hello and welcome from rural North Devon.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
1 November 2012, 14:03,
Hi, Welcome to the forum

We all started off where you are...new to the scene.

What are are you based in? There are loads of us in and around the Bristol area. Same as up in the North West.

What's your experience with outdoor survival skills, and indoor skills?

Personally, I'm used to being outdoors, or in an urban setting. If I'm indoors, I'm pretty useless. I can't use an oven to cook, I can use an electric hob, and I'm rubbish at keeping the flat clean. Thankfully the wife can do all that for me (YEAH...I'm MARRIED!!!! Shocking hu?!?!?!?). But outdoors, I'm much more comfortable, same as bring on the streets, I know what to do and how to do it....mostly.

What kind of scene are you based in? Urban, suburban, rural?
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
1 November 2012, 15:50,
Welcome from Chester
1 November 2012, 15:54,
(1 November 2012, 14:03)Scythe13 Wrote: Thankfully the wife can do all that for me (YEAH...I'm MARRIED!!!! Shocking hu?!?!?!?).

you kept that close!! when did that happen???? you sly bugger!!!TongueBig Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
1 November 2012, 16:19,
little bit about me
1. I am in urban surroundings
2. I'm nearly seventeen so I don't have much experience with most survival stuff except (when my nan was more mobile) we used to walk her dogs in the woods for hours and she would tell us what was poisonous.
3. I still live at home, have no job so resources are limited.

thanks for the welcoming guys!
question everything or believe anything
1 November 2012, 22:10,
Easy now welcOme friend
he never planned to fail, he just failed to plan. like lambs to the slaughter the wolfs look down from the hill tops. we are those wolfs!!!
1 November 2012, 23:05,
welcome, there are many good people here willing to point you in the right direction,
brian
2 November 2012, 12:53, (This post was last modified: 2 November 2012, 12:56 by Hrusai.)
(1 November 2012, 16:19)Destiny Wrote: little bit about me
1. I am in urban surroundings
2. I'm nearly seventeen so I don't have much experience with most survival stuff except (when my nan was more mobile) we used to walk her dogs in the woods for hours and she would tell us what was poisonous.
3. I still live at home, have no job so resources are limited.

thanks for the welcoming guys!

awh damn im no longer the youngest here Sad

19 here Smile

as i also live at home and havent been working for long my advice to you would be to spend some money on a cheap knife (you can get some real nice ones for under 50 quid) then just read alot, learn about the mechanics of prepping, read up alot, and practise skills, so take your knife go out in the garden and try and make a fire without using matches (firesteels are only a few quid so try one of them Smile ) also a battery and some wire wool can work, or using friction like a fire bow....start off with perfect conditions (no wind and nice and dry with easy materials) then slowly move upto harder conditions, like windy with dry materials, then rainy with dry materials, and work your way upto being used to making a fire in any conditions, if you can make a fire with nothing but a knife when its horribly wet and windy then you've got that skill down Tongue

also pick areas of prepping that you like at first, its such a broad subject that covers many different aspects, everything from mechanics to electric to bushcraft and food storage, if you jump in with something really hard that you dont like much you'll give up on it too soon Smile

anyway enjoy the forum, pm if you need help with anything and have some fun Big Grin
also this will sound very cliche, but pay attention in school, you have no idea how much i used to think would be totally useless to me when i was there, but now ive started prepping and grown up a bit i remember little snippets here and there that i find very useful Smile...a good understanding of how things work is one of the best skills a prepper can have Big Grin
2 November 2012, 14:00,
Okay Destiny, you have a tricky situation, but also one of great opportunity.

I've found this amazing place with oodles of knowledge, free of charge...and not just the internet. The library. You'll be surprised what your local library will have.

As for living at home, that's a HUGE advantage. You can sneak the odd tin of food away and start a store in your bedroom, under the bed or something. Check under your bed. If you have a black plasticy cover, you can cut that out and use it for storage space for food/water. A bottle of water is always a good place to start. Any empty bottles you find, clean them out, then fill them up.

Limited resources makes for more fun! Getting a second passport or something like that, will be very limited in capability. However, starting a bag of food, bottles of water, a library of knowledge, and the alike, are very easily done. Same as increasing your fitness, and that kind of thing. Being at home makes living expenses much lower than if you have your own place. So enjoy it while you can.

Do you have a local Explorers group? Like Scouts, but for older people. Granted they are nearly all total fat nerds, but some are reasonably good fun.

If you enjoy walks in the woods, you can get books on foraging! I love my Foraging book!!! Kept me fed for a day last summer. Need to get out this autumn and winter and try it out then too. But don't go eating mushrooms, unless they're out of a tin, in the form of Heinz Soup! No point taking the risk while learning the basics. Dying isn't a good learning experience.

You can even have a go at making basic cave-style tools! Chip a piece of flint into a knife, Tom Brown styleeee!!!

If you have a local archery group, look at joining there. Get out swimming as much as you can. Then do all those kinds of things that keep you active. You may even find a load of people that are like minded (don't go advertising for them).
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin