Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dirty bomb threat real
1 November 2012, 14:20,
RE: Dirty bomb threat real
The thing is, a dirty bomb is so simple, it's always been a threat. It was a threat just as much 10 years ago as it is today. It's as easy to get radioactive crap back then as it is now. Same as match heads, same as a section of guttering. The fact is, how many dirty bombs have been set off in the UK? How many shopping centres are there? How many football stadiums? How many churches or mosques?

For me, the likelihood of a dirty bomb going off is less than that of a normal bomb. Petrol bombs are much more likely to be used, and if you're not in a riot, you're usually pretty far from them.

To deal with a dirty bomb, I have.....my knife and spare clothes.

If a dirty bomb goes off, your clothes can be nicely coated with radioactive material.

Rule 1: Do not use your phone. You could set off a secondary bomb
Rule 2: Do not run to the exit of wherever you are. If there's a secondary bomb, that's where it'll be.
Rule 3: Go to the nearest bathroom and start washing your hands and any exposed skin. If possible tape the tap open so you don't have to touch it again.
Rule 4: Do not take your top off over your head! Cut it off with a pair of scissors or a knife.
Rule 5: Keep washing your skin for at least 30 minutes with cold water. Warm water will open your pores and you don't want that. When you finish, leave the tap running. When you first touched the tap, you contaminated it. Don't turn it off and recontaminate yourself. Leave it running.
Rule 6: Evacuate the area using the rule of thumb. You're clear when you can fit the effected area under your thumb from arms length.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
1 November 2012, 14:47,
Seems everyone's nightmare is a dirty bomb.
A RDD (Radiation dispersal device) is worrying but it's effect is localized.

What worries me more is a device that spreads nasties like
  • Biologics (anthrax, Embola),
  • Chemicals i.e. nerve, choking, or blister agents, and
  • Poisons i.e. Ricin.

But do you know what to look for?
It's not like a mushroom cloud goes up or the device scatters little cards warning that the "pop" had dispersed XYZ substance.

Here lies a problem though, just what will a dirty bomb look or sound like?

A car bomb, IED's, or body bomb will be blatantly obvious.
They destroy things. Big bang, all dead, big hole.

The dirty bomb may appear and sound different though.
It is often a low yield device i.e. some noise but little destruction.
Why? It's job is to disperse it's nasty material NOT destroy the very stuff it is trying to deploy.

So, low noise, little damage, possibly lots of smoke (but don't take that as an absolute).

FEMA's advice if outdoors.
Seek shelter indoors immediately in the nearest undamaged building.
If appropriate shelter is not available, move as rapidly as is safe upwind and away from the location of the explosive blast. Then, seek appropriate shelter as soon as possible.
Listen for official instructions and follow directions.

FEMA's advice if indoors.
If you have time, turn off ventilation and heating systems, close windows, vents, fireplace dampers, exhaust fans, and clothes dryer vents. Retrieve your disaster supplies kit and a battery-powered radio and take them to your shelter room.

Seek shelter immediately, preferably underground or in an interior room of a building, placing as much distance and dense shielding as possible between you and the outdoors where the radioactive material may be.

Seal windows and external doors that do not fit snugly with duct tape to reduce infiltration of radioactive particles. Plastic sheeting will not provide shielding from radioactivity nor from blast effects of a nearby explosion.

Listen for official instructions and follow directions.

Lastly a sheeple view on things.

Talking to a "professionally qualified" sheeple, I was informed that if a dirty bomb went off everyone who saw it or lived near to it would die, horribly, in hours.

"Where did you get that from", I asked.
"Common knowledge", was the reply.

His job?
Security Guard for Asda.

Big Grin

1 November 2012, 15:02,
(1 November 2012, 14:47)Paul Wrote: What worries me more is a device that spreads nasties like
  • Poisons i.e. Ricin.

Problem is that has been discussed on many occasions is that a terror cell does not need a device to spread Ebola or Hanta virus etc, just as they have no shortage of suicide bombers all they need is one volunteer willing to die for the cause , infect him with disease and let him ride public transport systems for a few days and eat in fast food joints whilst he is infectous in our cities and he will cause chaos.

1 November 2012, 15:07,
Only flaw I can see with your plan nr, is his emplyers/mad clerics own all the takeaways and dont want to loose customers. Jokes aside its so easy todo Sad
1 November 2012, 15:12,
if some ragheads explodes a dirty bomb in some city centre take away or cafe..what the exposure? i mean is the fallout confined to the city centre immediately in the vicinity of the bomb site?
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
1 November 2012, 15:36,
(1 November 2012, 15:02)NorthernRaider Wrote:
(1 November 2012, 14:47)Paul Wrote: What worries me more is a device that spreads nasties like
  • Poisons i.e. Ricin.

Problem is that has been discussed on many occasions is that a terror cell does not need a device to spread Ebola or Hanta virus etc, just as they have no shortage of suicide bombers all they need is one volunteer willing to die for the cause , infect him with disease and let him ride public transport systems for a few days and eat in fast food joints whilst he is infectous in our cities and he will cause chaos.

Yep, quite right what you've said.
All I was saying is that a dirty bomb ain't limited to rad' material.

Same principal as all doner kebabs aren't only loaded with salmonella.
If you've upset the cook, that brown sauce splodge might not be (if you get my drift.)
1 November 2012, 15:47, (This post was last modified: 1 November 2012, 15:48 by Cestrian.)
glad ive got my gas mask and nbc suit Big Grin always take it with me wherever i go, but as always opsec rules apply so nobody knows about it
apart from you guys and gals Wink
1 November 2012, 16:21, (This post was last modified: 1 November 2012, 16:22 by Paul.)
Just don't get a stop and search in the Greater Metropolitan area.
You'll have to explain to the whole alphabet menu why you're carrying such gear.
MI5, MI6, Special Branch, CID, SIB, CDM and bar.
1 November 2012, 17:52,
Ive been stopped once and because whenever i do go down south its to see the missus i usually have a lot of stuff like spare clothes and whatnot layered above the "suspicious items" so they usually just tell me to have a nice day and they trundle off, G36 in hand trying to get more arrests, plus i dress casual, jeans and a shirt so i don't stand out,but ill bear that in mind Paul, cheers Smile
1 November 2012, 17:54,
(1 November 2012, 15:12)bigpaul Wrote: if some ragheads explodes a dirty bomb in some city centre take away or cafe..what the exposure? i mean is the fallout confined to the city centre immediately in the vicinity of the bomb site?

does anyone have any information on this? cryingfreeman? nr?
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.