Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
A Note on Tins
1 November 2012, 14:36,
A Note on Tins
Just a quick note some of you might not have thought of.

WTSHTF, there will be very little food available. However, there is likely to be a fair bit of land that can be farmed.

It's easier to start gathering tins of meat products, then supplying the veg/greens from the earth, than it is to to it the other way round. One tin of meat balls is easier to get, then add a couple of apples, than it is to do it the other way round. One tin of peach slices....easy. One portion of meat from the earth.....not so easy.

As a result of this, I'm focussing my tin purchases on the kinds of things that I have no clue about how to get, or that would be much harder for me to attain. Things like peas, beans, and most veg can be grown or gathered from the wild. Things like meat.....not so easily.

I'm not saying, ignore any non-meat product. But what I am saying is "There are months of the year when you can get all your greens from the earth."

I try to work on a ratio of 4:2:2:1

4 - Protein source tins (hotdogs, meatballs, spam, chicken, beef, etc)
2 - Fruit or Veg mix (kidney beans, mixed fruit, lentils, peas, etc)
2 - Random/Yums (condensed milk, honey, treat foods, etc)
1 - Bulking bag (bag of rice, pasta, egg white, corn, flour, etc)

Using this ratio, I know that although I have much more protein than carbs (ignoring the bulking bags), I'll also be able to supplement my veg intake with potatoes that I can grow, beans or peas I can grow. Even stuff from green houses will be a possibility and a certainty in long term homesteading.

I hope that helps some people who find themselves with 100 tins of peas and suddenly realise...DAMN that's a lot of meat I have to get to reach a balanced diet!!!
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
1 November 2012, 15:20,
RE: A Note on Tins
You mean meat isnt grown from plants? :o
Goodway of selecting your food.
1 November 2012, 15:36, (This post was last modified: 1 November 2012, 15:42 by Prepper1.)
Fairly sound Idea until you realize nobody has bothered to stock any veg seeds and or has no prior experience of planting.
Its not always as easy as it says on the seed packet... make sure you try planting the seeds on a small scale outdoors somewher in the wilds near your bol say to see how the veg grows or if it grows at all.
remember to stock seeds for yourself because even though you think you can gather them from the wild, a lot of other people may be thinking the same.... So lots of people vying for the same wild food equals food shortage of veggies and berries etc.
Don't ignore the fact others will be looking for your greens and planted veg too, so no regimented rows of stuff, that very much looks like a food crop even if they don't know what the plant actually is they may pull them up to try.
I tried to be normal once.... Worst two minutes of my life...
1 November 2012, 19:21,
Although I agree you should prep with seeds I would guess that there will be several allotments and gardens with seed we can harvest. More than we would get with chickens, cows, etc. anyway.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
1 November 2012, 22:37,
As a note on the back of Prepper1's comment, if you are planting rows of stuff, have the plants you can eat nearest to your home, then have a small patch of Foxgloves, or something else poisonous that will be more easily accessible to would be thieves. If someone wants to steal a crop, they'll go for those furthest from the home....which will make their heart stop! 10 points to us!!! haha
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
1 November 2012, 23:01,
Unless you have kids yourself of course. Kids hearts stop much much quicker.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin