Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Make Your Own Oxygen Absorber for Food Storage
2 November 2012, 13:19,

never knew it was so easy!!

what you need

Steel Wool as fine as you can find (do not use soap pads )
table Salt
Paper towels
Stapler

Depending on the container size, take a wad of steel wool and lay it on a open paper towel. Sprinkle table salt over the steel wool and work it into the fibers. Then fold the towel over and staple it into an envelope shape. Done

The salt’s acidity activates corrosion of the fine steel wool and the rusting of the steel absorbs oxygen in the container.

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthr...p?t=191991
2 November 2012, 16:24,
RE: Make Your Own Oxygen Absorber for Food Storage
awesome! i didnt know it was that easy either, cheers tigs Big Grin
2 November 2012, 16:27,
some of the American Sites say that you should put an opened sarnie bag with a couple of spoonfulls of salt in the bottom of your food grade bucket, put your stuff on top then pack it to the top with DRY ICE...apparently the ice is supposed to remove the oxygen??
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
2 November 2012, 18:33,
huh, but dry ice is just carbon dioxide in its solid form Tongue

but im looking into it to see if theres anything to it, but i really dont think there is right now, only things i can think of would be that as it "melts" it displaces the oxygen and lowers the concentration making it less likely to react with your food, other things are that it could react with oxygen free radicals to make 2 carbon monoxide particles

but it would almost certainly put your container under pressure, which could run the risk of it not being airtight any longer Tongue

anyway im looking for some actual scientific evidence of it and why it works xD
2 November 2012, 19:03,
Actually it' dead easy to use 'dry ice' or carbon dioxide as a preservative. You simply displace the oxygen, let the container vent for a few minutes and then seal. Carbon dioxide has been used as a food preservative for over 70 years.

BTW, Disposable handwarmers make good oxygen absorbers too.

Sailing away, not close to the wind.Heart
2 November 2012, 19:26,
so it was just an oxygen displacer Smile thanks TOF Big Grin
2 November 2012, 20:07,
hi, i dont know where to get dry ice from,? but could you use a co2 fire extingisher to displace the
air before sealing a container? or am i just being silly.