Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NR wants to buy a stealth aerial for his CB
5 November 2012, 14:01, (This post was last modified: 5 November 2012, 14:11 by Keithb.)
RE: NR wants to buy a stealth aerial for his CB
Guys dont even attempt to confuse me with the usual techobabble you guys use as language.

I am looking to buy a CB aerial made from wire than I can pin up in my loft (not outside) It needs to be tuned to operate in the 27 FM UK / 27 CEPT Bands with the lowest SWR on Ch 20 27.79125 Mhz.

I want it to run through my loft I have a total roof length to play with of 5.7 meters in which to string it up.

The aerial connector to the rig needs to be supplied with something called a PL259 connector and the connecting wire needs to be 5 meters long at least.

Quotes to make one or point me to the right shop please ?

You need two lengths of wire each 2.7 metres long;
Get a chocolate-block connector with two separate connectors;
Strip the insulation off one end of each of the wires and attach those ends to the chocolate-block connector, one wire in each connector;
Maplins sell a coaxial cable "kit" with 10 metres of coax with the correct PL259 plug already attached to each end (the kit comes with a number of adapters - don't worry about those, or sell them on eBay);
Cut the plug off one end of the coax;
Strip the insulation off the cut end and separate the centre-conductor and the wire braid - twist the braid to form a "pig-tail";
Strip the insulation from the centre-conductor - you will now have bare wire centre-conductor and bare wire braid pig-tail;
Insert the centre-conductor into one of the choc-block connectors and the braid into the other;
You will now have the centre-conductor connected to one of the 2.7-metre wires and the braid to the other wire.
VOILA! You now have an antenna optimised for Ch 20!
String it up in your loft so that the centre of the antenna (the choc-block) is in the middle of the available space - don't worry about letting the ends of the wires droop down a bit if it isn't an exact fit.

I hope that helps - let me know if you need anything clarified.

PS - if you're not sure what a choco-block connector looks like, then see this: http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/120905860...pla&crdt=0 You can buy these from Maplin's as well - the smaller size would do. You will need just a 2-pole section cut from the complete block.
Regards,
Keithb
LINCOLN