Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Future Permaculture and food production in Britain
5 November 2012, 07:59,
RE: Future Permaculture and food production in Britain
(4 November 2012, 23:09)Paul Wrote: Bit off topic, hope you don't mind.

I had a good sized 30sq m plot full of veg coming up nicely to harvesting time.
Next morning the plot had been stripped and what was not stolen was destroyed, trampled deliberately.

It's good to grow and I still do but please remember that you'll need to protect your investment.

Sorry to hear this Paul, not a lot that you can do about malicious damage. One of the reasons that I put time and effort into the kind of gorilla gardening that I do, is that I fully realize that one of the first places that will be raided by the local sheeple post SHTF is my allotment plot, I don't see a few veg worth getting into a fight over. I will have plenty of fresh food stuffs to find in the local environment most of which the sheeple would not recognise as food.
5 November 2012, 11:44,
certainly after TSHTF, if not now, you need to have land be it garden, allotment or field that you can actually CONTROL, its no good being miles away. you need to be able to physically keep possession of it.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
6 November 2012, 10:53, (This post was last modified: 6 November 2012, 11:32 by PrepperJohn.)
Sorry to hear all of your hard work has gone to waste Paul.

This is another reason to employ Permaculture principles to your garden or allotment if you can get away with it.

Permaculture gardens tend to look less obviously like veg gardens and might be bypassed by know nothing bozos.

They also tent to upset other allotment members and the land owner who through ignorance think your plot is unkempt.

As was mentioned above, guerilla gardening is also a great way of protecting your food supply.
(3 November 2012, 08:27)T-oddity Wrote:
(2 November 2012, 22:58)Prepper1 Wrote: This is sort of where I eventually want to go with my allotments...
But saying that anybody with a forest near them could plant food crops and nobody would be any the wiser and it's there when you need it I suppose.
I know its not my own land but I cant afford that so you have to work with what you have. No point worrying about what you havent got!!

I've been using a no dig method on my allotment for about three years now and it is just about coming right, I do far less work on the allotment now than I used to and get far better crops, I also do a bit of gorilla gardening round my local area and bol's planting up food plants such as burdock, raspberries, apple and cherry trees etc.
I don't introduce non native species, I collect seed to either grow on or just broad cast in my chosen location, I also use forest gardening methods to encourage beneficial plants that are already found locally. I expect only a small proportion of the plants to survive, but I see it as slowly developing an area over a long period of time that could provide me with food and resources if I ever needed it.
For those who are interested in no dig:

http://www.charlesdowding.co.uk/

If you can stand listening to this guy's bible bashing bull shit, there is some interesting information and ideas here:
http://vimeo.com/28055108

Something on forest gardening:
http://www.agroforestry.co.uk/forgndg.html

I could talk about this stuff till the cows come home so if anyone has any questions please ask.

I will start a new thread on No Dig Gardening because it is something I am really interested in but my wife is not convinced so I am having problems. I would be interested to find out as much as possible about this method of gardening
If you can't strip it down and re build it, you don't own it
6 November 2012, 21:48,
I also love this idea and want to know MORE