Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Introducing a new local currency after an event
30 September 2011, 10:13,
RE: Introducing a new local currency after an event
The problem with the gold standard is that the population of the planet is increasing exponentially but the amount of gold is curving off (as it gets harder and harder to mine).
Doctor Prepper: What's the worst that could happen?
30 September 2011, 10:15,
Eventually, if things settled down then some form of money would probably return. One of the reasons money came into being was because in a barter system (and most other types of trading system) the other person may not have what you want, but he could give you something that you could exchange for what you wanted at a later date. The difficulty would be in deciding what would be acceptable to use as money. A useful commodity like salt, horses etc would have a value but aren't easy to carry around which is one of the reasons that people still invest in gold etc in the hope that people would still put a value on it after an event
7 October 2011, 09:03,
Money could be better described as 'flexible asset' as it has recognised value and our society has 'trust' in it.
Many years ago I heard someone say that 'money was the root of all evil'. It took me a while to figure this one out. Money/flexible asset is an inanimate object/item so how could it be the root of all evil? In simple terms the evil is us. We do not really trust each other very much at all. Technologically the human race has come a long way but in the personal development department we are still dragging our knuckles on the cave floor. So until we iron out the excesses and get some proper fair control over our society history will keep repeating itself and we, as a breed, will continue to fail to learn from our mistakes.
How you go about introducing a new local currency after an event is all about the people in your local community - do you trust them - is the new system fair? If you spend too much time talking about it the knuckle draggers will be back in town wreaking havoc once again!!
7 October 2011, 10:21,
"Money is the root of all evil" should really be phrased as "Greed and the desire to accumulate possessions in preference to treating others fairly and as you would like others to treat you is the cause of most evil" but the former rolls off the tongue more easily.
Greed will continue just fine in a barter society without money.
Doctor Prepper: What's the worst that could happen?
7 October 2011, 11:30,
"Money is the root of all evil". This is a common misquote of a bible verse. Money cannot be the root of all evil because, as you have said, it is an inanimate object. The quote is actually, "the LOVE of money is the root of all evil". The love of money is greed, worshipping money is the evil. Take a look around you at your neighbours and their flashy cars, nice houses, iphones, ipods, games consoles, 50 inch wide screen TVs. This is the evil. It is ruining society and ruining people. We text instead of talking, kids communicate is a bastardised form of Engilsh "tht I h8". The whole place is going down the pan and we are sitting watching it happen. The banking crisis also stems from the love of money, greedy, rich people wanting to be richer and becoming greedier as a result. It could only end in tears. Remove money from the equation and we're left with a system where people have to help each other, have to barter, have to depend on others and their own ingenuity. Yes, greed is a human trait and will always be there, but money encourages greed.
8 October 2011, 14:48,
Having established that 'we' are a greedy bunch - how do you/we go about introducing a new local currency?
From where I stand what ever was used would have to have some kind of universal value - locally at least. It would also have to be fairly administered - by someone or a group who was/were universally trusted. That's as far as I get with this really. The solution may be staring me in the face but is hidden in full view!!(?)
8 October 2011, 15:47,
In the 3rd series of the original "Survivors" in the '70's they tried to introduce a currency based on a store of Petrol. Even in the series though people were doubtful of it and I think, if i remember right, that they didn't have the stock of petrol either.

I know it is only fiction but the same trust issues would apply in real life
9 October 2011, 19:17,
I dont think a 'currency' system is neccessary as in coins etc. Man went for hundreds of years without it.

After armageddon, people will become tribal like our forefathers and will work together for the good of the tribe. It is only when two or more tribes meet that a 'currency' of some description is needed - this is more likely to be some form of bartering system for goods or services. It is a system that has worked before and likely to work again.
British by birth, English by the grace of God.

Every morning, I wake up and thank God I am an Englishman!
9 October 2011, 22:24,
maybe we won't trade or barter and maybe we won't have a currency.
we might just become like animals and take what we want with no society there are no rules
if you think how many people have not planed or preped in any great way, now think how desprite they will be.
could you as a preper team up with no prepers and still keep you stuff private, i don't thing thats possible unless you've lost your stuff to start with.
i know i'am ready to expect the worst and deal with that anything else is a bonuse
people stuggle to trust each othe and evey each other nothing will ever change that.
to win the war, you must be willing to die