Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Documentary about man living self sufficiently - Leeds festival
7 November 2012, 09:53,
RE: Documentary about man living self sufficiently - Leeds festival
Yes even during the soviet era anyone who obtained power, money or influence in Eastern Europe did not seek the sort of wealth trappings our rich people sought, even the ruling elite in the various politburos and dumas all hankered after the one and same thing regardless of if they were in Poloand, Russia, Ukraine, East Germany, Romania, Hungary etc....... A timber Dacha with wood burner set in woodland with associated gardens, allotments and ideally located near the Black Sea.

I stopped laughing at Russian made vehicles many years ago, Crude? Yes, BASIC?, Yes, Ugly?, Weird even, but when you see a NIva or Riva start first time in minus twenty degrees, clear its screen in under 2 minutes, wipers that could shift an iceberg, a starter motor that would start a T72 and a batterey powerful enough to light half a street. From the Crimea to Mockba to Vladivostok the buggers did the job.

Then one year Lada UK entered the Land Rover Trophy competition, they arrved, they were laughed at, derided, insulted and abused by the Landy, Jeep, Geland mob until the Cossack won to comp.....

7 November 2012, 22:20,
I have a Zenit "E" SLR camera. A beautiful, simple piece of engineering. Selenium cell lightmeter - no battery required. All-metal construction. Clockwork self-timer. Fantastic lens. Lovely leather case. Bought it new in Krakow, 1976!
Find a resilient place and way to live, then sit back and watch a momentous period in history unfold.
7 November 2012, 23:07,
God my mate had a Zenit beautiful stuff, he also had a Hasselblad equally beautiful.

10 November 2012, 14:05,
Leeds film festival are organising a second screening of My Island this coming Friday, based on the popularity and amount of tickets sold for the first screening.

Updated screening times:
Mon 12th Nov, 2012, 20:15 @ Leeds Town Hall 2
Fri 16th Nov, 2012, 20:30 @ Leeds Town Hall 2

Tickets: http://www.leedsfilm.com/films/island-se...landscapes

[Image: 8160764214_c0109e98a8_c.jpg]

10 November 2012, 14:48,
If I were him and had found my slice of paradise off the beaten track the last thing I would do is tell the world about it.

I know it is only the Leeds film festival but all it takes id one of the scum papers like the DM to pick it up and he will be swamped but attention.

Great news for the film maker/journalist as per normal. Crap for the poor chap living on thee island.
If you can't strip it down and re build it, you don't own it
10 November 2012, 14:50,
i would love to do something like this, in fact this has been my life times wish, the trouble is getting the dosh to buy ANY property in the first place, if you havent got the income to get a mortgage or havent got a property to sell , then your/i'm sort of stuffed!!Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
10 November 2012, 15:16,
That's very true PrepperJohn, it would be a shame if that did happen, although in this case no one knows exactly where the place is. The director said in the interview that he could not reveal the location.
10 November 2012, 16:58,
My dream is to have a nice bit of land a mobile home or similar my animals grow my own veg and live near enough in isolation I won't bother people and they won't bother me hopefully forget I'm wherever I am.
True heroes don't wear football shirts, they wear dog tags.
11 November 2012, 16:55,
(10 November 2012, 16:58)Pagan-Mist Wrote: My dream is to have a nice bit of land a mobile home or similar my animals grow my own veg and live near enough in isolation I won't bother people and they won't bother me hopefully forget I'm wherever I am.

yeah, mine too, although i would prefer something a bit more solid/robust than a mobile home, having lived in a caravan for several winters i know how basic that is!!Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
11 November 2012, 17:02,
I've lived in a mobile I loved it even during winter but your right about needing something robust though
True heroes don't wear football shirts, they wear dog tags.