Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
uses for a dead chest freezer
6 November 2012, 15:18,
RE: uses for a dead chest freezer
Hello Lightspeed,

Does that mean that you just put your electronic items in the freezer and they are then automatically shielded from and EMP once it's closed? EMP's are one thing that I am really worrying about as we are apparently overdue for a large one.

Thanks.
Prepper Kid: when will the sheeple wake up to the reality?
Prepper Parent: When it is too late to begin prepping for it.
6 November 2012, 16:16,
(6 November 2012, 15:18)Mandlaka Wrote: Hello Lightspeed,

Does that mean that you just put your electronic items in the freezer and they are then automatically shielded from and EMP once it's closed? EMP's are one thing that I am really worrying about as we are apparently overdue for a large one.

Thanks.

I bonded the METAL lid on mine to the Chest section using copper wire ( actuallt antenna coaxial cable braid)

It seems to work OK as mobile telephones inside it do not receive inbound calls, so it keeping Radio waves out to a fairly good extent.

The chest freezer needs to be the sort that has a blastic liner to it. The electical gear stored inside must not be in contact with any metal that commects to the outside skin of the freezer.

Some people recommend that faraday cages should be earthed.....just leace the three pin plug connected ( fuse removed) and it'll do this for you. I don't think the cage should be grounded, so I cut off the power cable entirely.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

6 November 2012, 17:10,
good post bp.....be using my old one and not throwing it.....did not see the obvious
6 November 2012, 17:21,
It could be turned into a smokehouse for food, cut a doorway and you have a kennel or chicken coop, turn it into a garden storeage, use it as a raised veg bed. Im sure given time we could think of more uses for a old freezer.
Failure is NOT an option
6 November 2012, 17:53,
question..... my garage is a metal frame clad with steel profile sheets ... there are 2 plastic windows the doors are roller shutter (steel).. if i cover the windows would this become a faraday cage ( to protect my bov )
8 November 2012, 00:03,
Thanks much, LS, for the update.
I think I will get a chest freezer and remove the electronics from it, wrap the things I want to protect in bubble wrap and put them in the freezer.
Actually I would also line the interior with bubble wrap too.

If I have read your post right, that should take care of things...
8 November 2012, 00:37,
lightspeed can you answer my q .....above or anyone else out there....thanks ss
8 November 2012, 08:29, (This post was last modified: 8 November 2012, 08:31 by Lightspeed.)
(6 November 2012, 17:53)Straight Shooter Wrote: question..... my garage is a metal frame clad with steel profile sheets ... there are 2 plastic windows the doors are roller shutter (steel).. if i cover the windows would this become a faraday cage ( to protect my bov )

Dunno if this will work. all of the sheets are connected to the earth thatthe garage stands on and I assume there is a non conductive concrete base?

My understanding of Faraday cages is thatthey must envelope the item(s) to be protected in a highly conductive shell and that the items within must be insulated from that shell. Classic faraday cage experiments use shells made of lattice structures ( ie have holes in them) hence the Cage terminology. In the experiments I've attended the FCs were not grounded.

I do not know to what degree FC's can be scaled up. Certainly quite big examples can be found. Tere are many reports of cars and aircraft receiving direct lightening strikes, and the people within them being completely unharmed....this is due to Faraday Cage effect.

To test try ringing a mobile phone left in the garage cage to see if RF can get in... if it rings OK then EMP will get in too... if it does not ring, you know that a degree of shielding is functioning

Not a conclusive reply, but the best I can do.

Does anyone out there know any better? Please advise

(8 November 2012, 00:03)Mandlaka Wrote: Thanks much, LS, for the update.
I think I will get a chest freezer and remove the electronics from it, wrap the things I want to protect in bubble wrap and put them in the freezer.
Actually I would also line the interior with bubble wrap too.

If I have read your post right, that should take care of things...

It oughtto work. To test it use the mobile phone test mentioned above.

72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

8 November 2012, 09:38,
Faraday cages can be scaled up to any size, as long as you don't scale the holes as well.

The problem with a building like that is that the roof joints need to have no spaces, the doors need a tight fit and should have braid on. You can cover the windows but it needs to leave no gaps.

I would do all that but also keep a freezer or two in there as well for your portable items, spares for your BOV just to make sure.Old freezers get thrown away so cost is minimal.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
8 November 2012, 11:18,
Much appreciated, LS.
I am hunting discarded freezers and will hopefully get them soon.

I will do the test and get back to update you all.

Thanks again.