Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Folding compact survival bow
12 November 2012, 16:07, (This post was last modified: 12 November 2012, 16:14 by JeffreyBarber.)
RE: New Folding compact survival bow
(12 November 2012, 08:03)Tigs Wrote: will it be available in the UK and how much will it cost?

The bow is available in the U.K. I have it listed on Ebay, and on our site at goprimalnow.com. It is 124.00 dollars U.S. plus shipping. You will probably be looking at 40 to 50 pounds in entry fees and tariffs upon receipt.
(12 November 2012, 09:51)NorthernRaider Wrote: Jeffrey the bow looks to be a fine piece of kit, hopefully it will be a big seller both sides of the pond, one minor suggestion though because they are made in the US and we are preppers and survivalists on another continent it may be wise to offer to sell it with spare strings and limb tips for overseas sales, dont think anyone even in the US would want to wait a week for a spare string.

Now my own comment has got me thinking, could a bow be strung with coated steel wire like basic compound bows are, that would really make it a survival bow ?
NR

I do offer additional string on our site, and I with the relationship we have started with Victory Archery we are avout to supply it with better arrows. Thinking about running a Holiday Special that includes an extra string, or two of the target arrows and two fletched Victory Buck Busters. Will soon offer a kit that includes an extra string, and two take down arrows in a case. Still testing the takedown arrows before I release them. Trying to shoot them as many times as it takes to induce a failure. I am only a few hundred shots in. The tips of the arrows and the finish on the paint end are showing a lot of wear, but none around the center joint with the take down adapter.
I like your though on the cable, may have to pursue that idea.
Jeff Barber
Primal Gear Unlimited
Quote:Those who give up freedom for security deserve neither.-Ben Franklin
12 November 2012, 16:29, (This post was last modified: 12 November 2012, 16:39 by NorthernRaider.)
(12 November 2012, 16:07)JeffreyBarber Wrote: I like your though on the cable, may have to pursue that idea.

Yeah the main reason I bought the Barnett Banshees was ( apart from the price) the nylon coated steel wire string instead of Dacron, it must be more durable I guess in a survival situation with perhaps a dacron string wrapped on the riser as an emergy back up should the wire fail ?? just thinking aloud.

Another grovelling suggestion but hows about a FAMILY friendly version rated at a more multi functional 30 to 35 pound draw so the one boy can be used by the ladies and the youngsters as well.
Hmmm now my own brain is firing on both cells I've just thought of a design that only has ONE pivot point / hinge and then the design can be brough under the magical 4 ft or even possiby 1 meter. Wish I was an engineer so i could work out the practicalities of the design.
Now another idea, I can think of a design that has no moving or hinged parts and only two pieces !!! probably impractical because of silly engineering constraints.

13 November 2012, 23:56,
Working on a lighter limb weight now and I will keep you posted when they are available. I still don't know if I will be able to get them under 45 lbs. With the family though, most ladies and kids will draw 26 inches or under, and the bow is 50 lbs at 26 inches, so at 24 or 25 it will be at 40-45 pounds. There have been long bows that were operated with a hinge in the center before, right where the riser meets the arrow shelf was hinged, and string locked it in place. Did get under a meter, but the limbs were still left unprotected, and was too long to stuff in a back pack or bug out bag. There was a Swiss bow that came apart in the center they used for ski patrols in the 50's. One side as sleeved and slipped into the other. With modern materials, you may be able to get one short enough to give you the power and speed you want and keep it short.
I will seriously have to see about getting in touch with the company that makes the nylon coated string. That is an awesome idea.
Jeff Barber
Primal Gear Unlimited
14 November 2012, 08:11,
Rolleyes Nice bit of kit for sure.... Wink Hey Jeffrey, send me one & I shall review it for you.
Dodgy If you always have, on your person, at least 2 ways to make fire, you might be a prepper. Tongue
14 November 2012, 10:55,
(14 November 2012, 08:11)BrixhamBadger Wrote: Rolleyes Nice bit of kit for sure.... Wink Hey Jeffrey, send me one & I shall review it for you.

i was thinking the same along with a couple of hundred break down arrows Tongue
14 November 2012, 20:47, (This post was last modified: 14 November 2012, 20:49 by JeffreyBarber.)
undefined
undefined
Jeff Barber
Primal Gear Unlimited
14 November 2012, 20:50,
(14 November 2012, 10:55)Tigs Wrote: i was thinking the same along with a couple of hundred break down arrows Tongue

Rolleyes I already have the arrows. Tongue
Dodgy If you always have, on your person, at least 2 ways to make fire, you might be a prepper. Tongue
14 November 2012, 22:36,
Hi,
Am i right in thinking that if i purchased one,and you sent it marked present that i would not hve to pay import duty?
Is this possible?
14 November 2012, 23:02,
In my opinion a 50lb draw weight wouldnt do too well when it comes to serious hunting, my crossbow has a draw weight of 175lbs, ....50 lbs wouldnt have the power to bring down anything like a deer or large sheep, unless you are lucky enough to hit it between the eyes.

Also,.. in the kind of survival situations that we are usualy talking about, having a bow sticking up in the air above the cover you have carefully crawled through would soon scare off most game,... far better a crossbow that remains in cover,... [ unless you are hunting in woodland of corse ]
A major part of survival is invisibility.
14 November 2012, 23:28,
(14 November 2012, 23:02)Highlander Wrote: In my opinion a 50lb draw weight wouldnt do too well when it comes to serious hunting, my crossbow has a draw weight of 175lbs, ....50 lbs wouldnt have the power to bring down anything like a deer or large sheep, unless you are lucky enough to hit it between the eyes.

Also,.. in the kind of survival situations that we are usualy talking about, having a bow sticking up in the air above the cover you have carefully crawled through would soon scare off most game,... far better a crossbow that remains in cover,... [ unless you are hunting in woodland of corse ]

Comparing the power of a xbow and Bow isnt as straight forward as just comparing the draw weight because of the length of draw, a bow has a lot longer power stroke generating more power. This link here shows a 175lb xbow is similar to a 75lb compound bow

http://www.huntersfriend.com/products/ar...mance.html
Quote:LENGTH OF THE POWERSTROKE: Crossbows generally come in much heavier draw weights (usually 150-185#) than compound bows. So it would be logical to assume that more power-in means more power-out. But wait! If you remember the work=force x distance formula from your High School Physics class, you know that how far is just as important as how hard. Crossbows have a comparatively short powerstroke (the distance the bow's string is drawn back). Most crossbows have only a 10-14" long powerstroke vs. a men's compound bow which typically has a 18-23" long powerstroke. So while the crossbow stores up more energy per-inch of powerstroke (because of the heavier draw weights), the compound bow makes up for it by drawing back a lighter weight, but over a longer distance.

You have the right to hold any beliefs you want. You do not have the right to have those beliefs automatically respected