Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trompe
8 November 2012, 08:37,
Trompe
I debated whether or not to post this and in the end, felt it might be worthy of discussion.
Bill Mollison spoke of this device in the second video of his Permaculture Design & Certificate Course (which is available through torrent, although I can attempt to upload this one video if there is any interest)

[Image: Trompe.jpg]

(Forgive my amazing artistic skills haha)

Because the water enters the chamber faster than the air can rise, it is pushed down, isothermically compressing it as it goes.
The gas can be used to power a generator and all manner of tools, a car with a 2 cubic foot tank could run 300 miles and because the air is isothermically compressed, it is cold... a hose leading into an insulated room would give you an instant cold room for storage.

I do not have a working knowledge of this, which is my main reason for posting. Although trompes have been in existence for MANY hundreds of years, there is very little information available and I fear I have done a bad job of explaining what little I have learned...it would have probably taken less time to upload the video haha!
I've never actually uploaded anything before, so if you would like to watch it without downloading the torrent, perhaps someone could suggest a site where I could upload the 85min video, I would greatly appreciate it.

Have a nice day Smile

8 November 2012, 09:28,
RE: Trompe
I think this is a good find and should be a must for anyone having a fast stream in their local area. This diagram explains the principles but as we all now the devilis in the detail. How big is the cone? How much of the stream doesit need to intercept? I think some experimentation would be required by someone who just starts from that diagram to work out the sizes and how they would hold the compressed air.

However the principles seem sound and having a cold room is a step forward. Anyone going to be have a go at building this?

Send the files to me and I'll add the to the files area.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
8 November 2012, 09:55, (This post was last modified: 8 November 2012, 10:01 by PrepperJohn.)
Fascinating. There is a little more detail here

I will find out more as the day goes on

Thanks for posting
(8 November 2012, 09:55)PrepperJohn Wrote: Fascinating. There is a little more detail here

I will find out more as the day goes on

Thanks for posting

And a diagram from Mother Earth News
And you can use the concept to pump water up hill

If you can't strip it down and re build it, you don't own it
8 November 2012, 10:13,
The example in the video is a 100 meter shaft, he does not mention the other dimensions although he did an experiment with a bucket with drinking straws, using a 40ft pipe as the shaft - ended up blowing the bucket to pieces with the pressure lol

I was going to experiment with this but do not currently have the time - I'll hopefully get around to it at some point in the next year.

The video is 225mb - I'm unsure how I could send it :S

Also found another link I might as well share Smile
http://contest.thetyee.ca/greenyourcampb...h/node/113
8 November 2012, 11:37,
That's fricking cool!!!

I thought I knew most the permaculture systems and techniques. Then suddenly...BOOM, something phenomenal blows you away! The applications for this are vast!!!
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
6 December 2012, 09:16,
(Hope it is alright to post this, if not I apologise and understand removal)

Here is a link to the aforementioned lecture - http://www.putlocker.com/file/7425EF270E732EB1

I may post this elsewhere but will report here with any findings.