Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greece parliament approves harsh austerity measures
8 November 2012, 16:04,
Greece parliament approves harsh austerity measures
The Greece parliament has adopted an 18.5-billion-euro (23.6-billion-US dollar) austerity package amid clashes between police and angry protesters in the capital Athens.

On Wednesday, the Greek lawmakers voted for the bill that cuts pensions by up to 15%, reduces some wages by a third, and raises the retirement age to 67.

"These measures essentially bring us many years back. All the labor rights the Greek people won post-World War II and post-dictatorship are taken back," union activist Marie Lavrentiadou said, adding, “The measures are not voted in the conscience of the Greek people, and they can be ousted.”

http://www.presstv.ir/detail/2012/11/08/...-measures/
I tried to be normal once.... Worst two minutes of my life...
8 November 2012, 16:10,
RE: Greece parliament approves harsh austerity measures
I dont see what else the Greek govt could have done, like all govts they have to balance the books......unlike the EU that is.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
8 November 2012, 16:45,
Its a bit of a joke that the EU is telling greece what when they cant do it themselfs. Riotting could turn into a small civil war.
Failure is NOT an option
8 November 2012, 16:46,
I was listening to some expert on the radio today saying that even if the Greece government had refused the measures, they would have still got the loans.
After all it's in Germany's interest that Greece stays in to avoid a collapsing house of cards.
All that happens now is that the unrest will grow until something snaps.

8 November 2012, 17:26,
Civil War.
It's the only expected outcome.

Youth unemployment is 40-50% (I've heard both figures passed around), and with an increase in the retirement age, that means those with jobs will be in them for longer! No hand-me-down job positions from old to new.

The military or the police are the 2 positions that people will look into for a career (if they're employing). All it will take is 1 great orator to rise troops up, and we'll have a wonderful Syria/Iran/Iraq/Lenabon/Lybia situation. Revolution.

In Greece they have an expression "Give a man a gun, and he'll rob a bank. Give him a bank, and he'll rob the nation." Any country, founded in history by war, with that kind of anti-establishment expression will see revolution.

Whether the revolution will be successful, or just a bloodbath, will have to wait to be seen.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
9 November 2012, 07:02,
yep think its going to kick off over there very soon , hardly any of the wealthy are paying taxes even now! and the poor get poorer , there is the old saying that society is only 3 meals away from anarchy i think we are going to find out if thats true in greece
9 November 2012, 12:38,
Come on Greece play the game start using Drachmas again tell the eu to whistle for its debt and start doing cheap holidays and before long youll be rolling in cash...
I tried to be normal once.... Worst two minutes of my life...