Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Yorkers still without power after 12 days
11 November 2012, 21:01,
RE: New Yorkers still without power after 12 days
Im hoping if tshf the sheeple will be looting for phones, and clothes, giving me enough time to loot for the stuff I need, as I have no where near enough food or water.
11 November 2012, 23:43,
People may loot for electrical goods in the first few hours, but how much food does the average person have at home? How long can they live out of their store cupboards? They will realise while out looting crap, that no one will be coming home to stop them.

As soon as one sees a food store window broken, they will all be in. Mob mentality will do it. This will before they even return home to find the only thing in the cupboard is an open packet of noodles from three years ago, four chicken stock cubes.

If you do not have 12 days worth of preps, I would say at least have some good boots, a change of clothes should you get wet, a very warm coat and a tarp you can get under and stay dry. I knife, something to light a fire and something to boil water in, then get yourself to somewhere you are not going to get killed.
12 November 2012, 09:40,
the shops may be empty in a few days, but i think the mayhem will carry on for a lot longer, robbing, looting, killing even, like PM says, you'll be lucky if its still hell on earth after 12 months, unless there is a huge die off, less people less chance of bumping into others!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
12 November 2012, 12:56,
This is one we'll not know until it happens. Having said that, I do have some 'opinions' on the situation.

I think we all know the first thing to be looted will be Apple, PC World, and the alike. That's a patten we all recognise. History has proven such.

After that, it seems people realise they need food more than Eastenders. That is when people will start looting the food shops, which will likely be mostly empty if there is prior warning (check the pictures from the shops pre Sandy. Mostly empty.

From experience, most people out looting, are just out for the fun of it, and after things they want, like the stereo/ipods/tv's and the alike. However, it will be when they go home and realise that they have no food at home, that they'll start looting normal food shops. That will likely be later the same day or, more than likely, the second day into the event/disaster. By then, who knows what the situation will be?!?!?

The biggest issue, will be lack of knowing.

With NY, people knew the outside world would help them....albeit very slowly. However, imagine the same situation in NY, but they didn't know there was help coming. There was no evidence for the outside world being unaffected by the storm. I think that the lack of hope of salvation, from the outside world, would cause huge problems in both social contract, and with the behaviour of looters.

In America, during the Rodney King riots, the black community (not being racist, just stating facts) was rioting and looting, dragging white people from their cars and killing them. Oddly, a bunch of Korean store owners got together outside their stores, pitched up their guns, and promised to shoot at anyone that came towards their shops. As if shotguns had magical powers, there were no issues those shop owners had to deal with. They were left alone. Which gives hope to the thought of community based social groups holding to their locations if they stand together.

This gives hope, again. But it also shows that looters, initially, are not willing to face death to get food. They'll go for easier targets.

All in all, I think food looting won't happen until about 12 hours after an 'event' occurs. This seems to be a reasonable assumption, based on past events.

Within 12 days, yeah, I think there will be food riots.

In the first few days, there will be riots, but the general population that wouldn't riot for fun, would be calm.
Up to the first week, most people will still be expecting help, rioter numbers would swell a bit, but not massively.
The start of the second week, people will be anxious and huge issues would become unavoidable. People will be stealing to eat.
After the second week, people won't be rioting, because most places will have already been screwed over.
Week 3 brings people together....as communities or street communities (gangs)
Week 4 would probably start with gang conflicts and the alike.

But that's all speculation based on what people seem to have done so far in history. Again, all events have been in the light that there is hope and a government to save the day....at some point. Take that away, and the whole thing becomes crazy.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
12 November 2012, 15:28,
there is no point in looting food if they dont know how to cook it! there is no point in looting food if they have no way to heat it up! there is no point in looting tins if they havent got a tin opener! there is no point in looting food if their going to freeze to death!Big GrinBig Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
12 November 2012, 15:53,
(12 November 2012, 15:28)bigpaul Wrote: there is no point in looting food if they dont know how to cook it! there is no point in looting food if they have no way to heat it up! there is no point in looting tins if they havent got a tin opener! there is no point in looting food if their going to freeze to death!Big GrinBig Grin

There's no point in stealing a wide screen TV if you can't afford the electricity to turn it on, but they still do.
12 November 2012, 16:30,
(12 November 2012, 15:53)Scythe13 Wrote:
(12 November 2012, 15:28)bigpaul Wrote: there is no point in looting food if they dont know how to cook it! there is no point in looting food if they have no way to heat it up! there is no point in looting tins if they havent got a tin opener! there is no point in looting food if their going to freeze to death!Big GrinBig Grin

There's no point in stealing a wide screen TV if you can't afford the electricity to turn it on, but they still do.

yep, SENSE never did make any difference to a looter.
12 November 2012, 16:33,
(12 November 2012, 16:30)bigpaul Wrote:
(12 November 2012, 15:53)Scythe13 Wrote:
yep, SENSE never did make any difference to a looter.

That's a good point well made.

I still think that pot noodles, crisps, and the alike, will be looted in the second round of looting.

Looting seems to go in waves. First it's shops, then it's abandoned homes, then it's back to shops, with the odd street here and there.

Let's say an event happened at 6am. People would be looting for food by 9pm that same day, I believe.
12 November 2012, 16:36,
(12 November 2012, 16:33)Scythe13 Wrote: I still think that pot noodles, crisps, and the alike, will be looted in the second round of looting.

Looting seems to go in waves. First it's shops, then it's abandoned homes, then it's back to shops, with the odd street here and there.

Let's say an event happened at 6am. People would be looting for food by 9pm that same day, I believe.

well, thats ok, gives us 12 hours to clear out the food before they think about their empty bellies!!Big GrinBig Grin