Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Poppy Desecration.
14 November 2012, 02:29,
RE: Poppy Desecration.
It is a bit of a problem. I am a believer in free speech and i dread current goverments attempts to stifle free speech on the net and in the media, however i do think just burning a poppy like that is a bit idiotic, however these days ive begun to think that the whole symbol of the poppy has been twisted. I believe people should be allowed to say what they want, just because you dont like it or disagree is not a reason to jail people, that heads down the road the nazi's did. However i also think that poeple should not be allowed to just incite hatred with such rights as free speech. Im all for having long and length discussions with people i dont agree with, its called debate, but i dont agree with people inciting hatred of any kind. If the guy who burned the poppy was trying to make a point then he could certainly have gone about it better. However i also think the gov is heavy handed for imprisoning the guy for it if they do.

Yes we should honour the fallen (My grandfather was fighting in burma still in 46 so i have the upmost respect for anyone in the military) and serving members of the military for wanting to protect their country. What i dont agree with is the needless wars that our troops are being sent of to die and get maimed in and being treated like shit by the goverments that send them off to fight.
14 November 2012, 08:09,
There are some things that shouldnt be said out of respect and/or common decency

All the crap about respecting the rights of people to say just whatever they want is just that, crap. If someone came to a funeral of a close familily member of yours and said they were glad he/she was dead and that they were an arsehole - would you respect their right to say it ?

As for the poppy being twisted ? to me wearing the poppy represents an opportunity to remember and show respect to those who have died fighting for their country, i dont connect it to politics or politicians at all so i really dont see how it is twisted. Some people in the media are trying to create a problem where one doesnt exist, but that is more down to their political leanings and motives rather than based on evidence

You have the right to hold any beliefs you want. You do not have the right to have those beliefs automatically respected
14 November 2012, 08:17,
(14 November 2012, 02:29)Cloud Wrote: What i don`t agree with, is the needless wars that our troops are being sent of to die and get maimed in and being treated like shit by the governments that send them off to fight.

Rolleyes You get my vote on that statement for sure Cloud. Undecided
Dodgy If you always have, on your person, at least 2 ways to make fire, you might be a prepper. Tongue
14 November 2012, 09:08,
Like BB I agree on your point about our brave troops being wasted and then mistreated to boot.

I however agree with IB1's statement about how the freedom and rights are being abused and then basing such behaviour on free speech. Basic decency and respect has nothing whatsoever to do with politics or government controls.

Added to that, I do think the government can influence some individuals to behave in stupid ways. Perhaps if the government ministers and others start behaving with real honour and integrity others may follow suit.

Sadly that may never happen...
Prepper Kid: when will the sheeple wake up to the reality?
Prepper Parent: When it is too late to begin prepping for it.
14 November 2012, 11:01,
(14 November 2012, 08:17)BrixhamBadger Wrote:
(14 November 2012, 02:29)Cloud Wrote: What i don`t agree with, is the needless wars that our troops are being sent of to die and get maimed in and being treated like shit by the governments that send them off to fight.

its like the case of the three soldiers charged with murder, the engaged several taliban who opened fire on them , they killed all of the taliban then 6 moths later are charged with murder?? its flecking madness
14 November 2012, 16:52,
(14 November 2012, 11:01)Tigs Wrote:
(14 November 2012, 08:17)BrixhamBadger Wrote:

its like the case of the three soldiers charged with murder, the engaged several taliban who opened fire on them , they killed all of the taliban then 6 moths later are charged with murder?? its flecking madness

Yeah exactly, and the disgusting stories of them firing career soilders a couple of weeks like that before they are due to retire, disgusting.

And yes with the point of people coming up and being cunts at a funeral or something, yes thats plain rude and id probaly slap the bitch that did that also. But free speech to disagree with entities like goverments must be maintained, though i fully agree that doesnt mean peopple can go around just blatantly hurling abuse etc.

And when i say the poppy has been twisted, in the eyes of the public i think 99% of people hold true to its meaning, my view on it being twisted is the fact the politicians can march out with their poppies on their lapel and yet still be of selling weapons for more people to be killed by, but its ok cos they all get together and lay a few wrethes at the cenatauph each year.

Its the Rich that want wars, not normal people. Imo if they want to fight, they should get the guns and go off to die.

Old men sit around thinking up wars for young men to die in - Bertrumd Russell (If i spelt his name rights, and thats pretty much what the quote was)
14 November 2012, 18:30,
My take of the events is its worrying for what he was arrested for (malicious communications act or something) rather than just being an arse. That's the problem for me. He wasn't arrested for burning the poppy, but because he posted the picture & someone (quite rightly) was offended by it.

It's the same law (or act - whichever it is) that the guy got sent to prison for & lost his career for joking on twitter that he was gonna blow an airport up if they didn't clear the snow away so he could go away with his mates.

The poppy guy should've been done for inciting hatred rather than malicious communications. It's a scary law/act. Someone could be offended by what you write on here or Facebook & you get arrested. It's going further down the route of limiting our freedom of speech.

Sometimes fighting for free speech & the right to express our opinion brings fools like him to the forefront & for the sake our rights, we still need to fight against abuse of those rights.

It's like the old saying, if you stay silent while they take everyone else away, there is going to be no-one left to speak out when they eventually come for you.

To sum it up, he was rightfully arrested, but on the wrong charge.

As for Mr Pink, they should've let the crowd get him.
18 November 2012, 22:48,
He's a gimp to burn such a thing, however...

WW1 was the greatest disaster to befall Europe's sons and daughters plus sowed deadly seeds for the second killing war twenty years later.

I'm with no-one but moving on from that (un)Civil warfare and NEVER repeating the mistakes they made!
Europe has been stuck with the errors of those days ever since.

Back OT.
First they come for the poppy-burners
THEN
They come for US!

Remember that folks. Because right now I see a lot of liberty's swirling down the plughole...
19 November 2012, 01:13,
waterboarding practice i think
19 November 2012, 14:48,
Guys,

That is the problem with free speech. Even our government believes in free speech they like.

I don't agree with burning it but it is his property. He is harming no one.

It is free or it is not, there is no middle ground. Pick your side now because it marks you as a supporter of freedom or a statist. No but if, they should or whatever. Freedom or not.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin