Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
When do YOU start looting.
12 November 2012, 19:09,
When do YOU start looting.
Okay, here's the scenario.

BOOM! You hear something fricking loud and a flash of light. Next thing you know, that thread you were replying to on here has vanished.

Everything electrical has blacked out, and all you know is...that.

Day 1. No power, and EVERYONE is confused. You don't know how wide spread this situation is. Your mobile phones are not working either. You can't get anything on the radio...because it doesn't seem to be working either.

No TV, no radio, no mobile phone, even your torch isn't working!!!

You can't go and check whether the next town is effected or not, because your car won't start. If you have a bicycle, obviously you can use that.

You hear nothing except what your neighbours say, or what you find out. Even that back up generator of your is fried, just like everyone else's.

You don't see an airplane or anything like that, so there's no idea how wide the effected area is.

Day 2. You see smoke coming from the local town. Do you investigate or not?

Still nothing. No TV, no Radio, No planes, No cars, no....anything!

Day 3.....well, I don't know what's going on. You tell me.

My questions are, at what time do you start looting for food.
Many people on this forum have spoken about looting for food, or tools, or something like that. At what point would you start this?

Considering you don't know whether there will be an 'end of event' occurrence, like those in NY have (knowing help is on it's way), there will be no obvious law enforcement or government, unless those on patrol decide to step up and start governing from a smaller proximity, what would you do?

I question how many people actually would start looting. The reason I say this, look at NY. They were going through dumpsters for food, but they hadn't hijacked the local shops or anything like that. Obviously, without power, the Cash-Machines wouldn't work, and shop owners couldn't take card payments. So instead of looting, many people took to street tactics. Come 2-3 years down the line (if nothing has been restored), yeah, I see breaking into a shop and living it up getting what you need.

When do you start looting?
How do you see the situation evolving on the streets?
What do you think will happen in regards to law and order?
Do you honestly think you'll need to bug out?
If you're staying put, how long will you be hiding for?
How will you keep an eye on the situation outside?
What length of time do you leave it until you leave your home and come outside?
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
12 November 2012, 19:13,
RE: When do YOU start looting.
i dont need to start looting straight off(i call it acquiring by the way!Big Grin) as i have a cash "stash" fund hidden away, so i can pay cash for my food purchases (at least for a while) when everyone elses cards (and card machines) dont work!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
12 November 2012, 19:17,
(12 November 2012, 19:13)bigpaul Wrote: i dont need to start looting straight off(i call it acquiring by the way!Big Grin) as i have a cash "stash" fund hidden away, so i can pay cash for my food purchases (at least for a while) when everyone elses cards (and card machines) dont work!

That's something I try to do. Keep about £100 in each bag I have. Safe for emergencies.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
12 November 2012, 19:20, (This post was last modified: 12 November 2012, 19:21 by Paul.)
As soon as possible.
Two reasons.
1. I want to appear like everyone else totally unprepared
2. I don't want to dug into my stores unless it's absolutely essential.
(12 November 2012, 19:20)Paul Wrote: As soon as possible.
Two reasons.
1. I want to appear like everyone else totally unprepared
2. I don't want to dug into my stores unless it's absolutely essential.
Dug? Dig!

12 November 2012, 19:31,
Day 1 id already be bugging out to get the missus and then go on from there, i already have food and water for about a week so id be generally ok, id stay hidden and possibly travel at night and sleep in the day (im used to it as i work nights anyway), id also stay far away from anywhere populated due to violence
12 November 2012, 19:53,
I think I would start looking around possibly straight away just to blend in and see what news is on the street but being surrounded by barracks I wouldn't take anything straight away a few dropped tins maybe but nothing big as the chance would be there's soldiers around. I'd stick around for a few days try and organise the girls help them organise their stuff ready to move when needed. And proberly pick stuff up during the journey to where were going as we would proberly be on foot
True heroes don't wear football shirts, they wear dog tags.
12 November 2012, 20:34,
As soon as I've realised it's EMP I'm doing my own special version of supermarket sweep.
12 November 2012, 20:54,
If its a pandemic, or other similar event where there is almost no-one left afterwards, then loot away as soon as the disease is burned out, and there is minimal risk of cholera from bodies.

If it looks like a full blown breakdown, you may as well go shopping if you can get there before panic gets in, and convert the last of your paper into tangibles.

I would certainly be pretty pissed if my business was looted, so for the most part I don't plan on looting whilst theres much hope of recovery.
Woe to those who add house to house and join field to field, Until there is no more room, So that you have to live alone in the midst of the land!
Isaiah 5:8
12 November 2012, 21:06,
The difficulty I have in working out a timescale for when its ok to loot, or something like using lethal force, is that for all you know the situation could just be localised to your village/town/city. You might think all bets are off and act accordingly only to find out a week later you are thrown into the nick for several life sentences

Because i think that way i would be keeping my head down for as long as possible and would need to be fairly certain that things were totally fubar before i took the risk. How long that takes is anyones guess, could be a couple of days, could be months
You have the right to hold any beliefs you want. You do not have the right to have those beliefs automatically respected
12 November 2012, 21:14,
i would lay low for a few days....all my gear is here ......i need to move it to to different locos ..... i am not prepped tidy......and my bol 1 is not prepped yet and bol 2 is the same .....got to sort this out now.....thanks s13 was relying on my bov to much i see that now