Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
survivability of livestock
20 November 2012, 10:59,
RE: survivability of livestock
I sold a farm to move to where I am [ 20 odd years ago now ] so I have that knowledge,.. providing that the animal was not penned up, them most would do very well in the wild,..remember that dairy herds that are being milked are only a small number of the countries dairy cows, there are thousands of young dairy cows yet to have calfs and not yet producing milk,.... I realy cant think of any farm animal that wouldnt do well, providing that the animal had enough ground on which to live
A major part of survival is invisibility.
20 November 2012, 11:05,
One of the most important jobs I have planned for my group AFTER TSHTF properlyis to travel out to a radius of 7 miles to as many farms as possible in a large heavy vehicle, I intend to knock down as many fences and walls as possible giving the critters a better chance than dying of starvation or dehydration in a field. We have Buffalo, Long Horns, Jerseys, Herefords, Gurnseys, Dexters, Alpacas, various sheep n pigs, all the deer types including muntjuics.

22 November 2012, 14:20,
thanks for all your input folksSmile
One more question regarding cattle, I'm not sure what food modern cattle are fed but i'd like to know if cattle can survive on only grass, hay and silage etc, or do modern cattle breeds require grain and more calorific food to maintain their condition?
22 November 2012, 15:03,
(22 November 2012, 14:20)Tartar Horde Wrote: thanks for all your input folksSmile
One more question regarding cattle, I'm not sure what food modern cattle are fed but i'd like to know if cattle can survive on only grass, hay and silage etc, or do modern cattle breeds require grain and more calorific food to maintain their condition?

i think cattle can survive on grass, hay and silage alone, its when they are brought into cattle sheds for the winter that they are then fed on grain etc.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
22 November 2012, 15:03,
(22 November 2012, 14:20)Tartar Horde Wrote: thanks for all your input folksSmile

The less inbred strains are fine like Highlands, Longhorns, Dexters etc, Pigs will thrive if left alone.

25 November 2012, 19:19,
I think a lot of modern cattle can only breed via artificial insemination because we've modified their shape so much that bulls can't do their business?
25 November 2012, 19:26, (This post was last modified: 25 November 2012, 19:31 by Highlander.)
(20 November 2012, 11:05)NorthernRaider Wrote: One of the most important jobs I have planned for my group AFTER TSHTF properlyis to travel out to a radius of 7 miles to as many farms as possible in a large heavy vehicle, I intend to knock down as many fences and walls as possible giving the critters a better chance than dying of starvation or dehydration in a field. We have Buffalo, Long Horns, Jerseys, Herefords, Gurnseys, Dexters, Alpacas, various sheep n pigs, all the deer types including muntjuics.

I would have thought that [ depending on how big your group is ] that in an area of seven miles you would be better off re-farming those animals,... farm animals are there to feed the country,.. they would be one of your keys to surviving,.... you cant stay in one small group forever, you will need to branch out in order to start again,..and it will be farming that re-starts anything
(25 November 2012, 19:19)In the Dark Wrote: I think a lot of modern cattle can only breed via artificial insemination because we've modified their shape so much that bulls can't do their business?

In my view all cattle will bred naturaly, the only reasons that cattle are artifiicaly inseminated is in order to inpregnate cows with better genes to improve a herd,.... or because the farm doesnt have a bull,... to most farmers a Bull is a cost they cant afford, he is no good to the farmer except for once a year,... its not because cattle cant breed on their own
A major part of survival is invisibility.
25 November 2012, 19:39,
My group has neither the numbers nor the skills to manage farm critters, but rather than leave them starve to death cooped up in farm building of small fields we reckon that letting them free at least gives them SOME chance, Porkers sould thrive cos they are inteligent, Sheep are used to living for long periods unattended, I reckon the local Bison, Deer, Longhorn and Highland moocows should get by proving they can find grazing and woodland to over winter in. Even if they dont breed they can live for years thus providing us with beef on the hoof for a long time, thats got to be better than dying of thirst cooped up in a barn cos the farmer is dead or gone.

2 December 2012, 22:41,
(25 November 2012, 19:26)Highlander Wrote:
(20 November 2012, 11:05)NorthernRaider Wrote: One of the most important jobs I have planned for my group AFTER TSHTF properlyis to travel out to a radius of 7 miles to as many farms as possible in a large heavy vehicle, I intend to knock down as many fences and walls as possible giving the critters a better chance than dying of starvation or dehydration in a field. We have Buffalo, Long Horns, Jerseys, Herefords, Gurnseys, Dexters, Alpacas, various sheep n pigs, all the deer types including muntjuics.

I would have thought that [ depending on how big your group is ] that in an area of seven miles you would be better off re-farming those animals,... farm animals are there to feed the country,.. they would be one of your keys to surviving,.... you cant stay in one small group forever, you will need to branch out in order to start again,..and it will be farming that re-starts anything
(25 November 2012, 19:19)In the Dark Wrote: I think a lot of modern cattle can only breed via artificial insemination because we've modified their shape so much that bulls can't do their business?

In my view all cattle will bred naturaly, the only reasons that cattle are artifiicaly inseminated is in order to inpregnate cows with better genes to improve a herd,.... or because the farm doesnt have a bull,... to most farmers a Bull is a cost they cant afford, he is no good to the farmer except for once a year,... its not because cattle cant breed on their own
your right all cattle will breed if let go wild i recall a film showing a island in scotland where a croft was left over 20 years ago the cattle that were left grew in to a natural herd with a top old bull and young bulls coming up
the farmer would return to kill a few each year if he could catch them
like you said most farmers dont keep males any more
sheep go to a ram once a year and would be ok
pigs not many boars al cheaper
chickens just hens only smallholders keep hens and cocks
cost of feeding is main reason chicken feed not cheap any more haha
2 December 2012, 22:53,
Farmed deer, estate deer would be fine, but would be best if the fences were cut and they were allowed to roam freely. Pheasant pens is another thing......I think that I would free the creatures apart from the dairy cows and have a 'wondering larder' to have a go at , using the animals that do come to grief/old/lame first and managing the populations of healthy animals.

Oh and don't forget fish farms and fishing lakes/ponds.