Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
what hatchet would you buy and why
16 November 2012, 09:10,
RE: what hatchet would you buy and why
fiskars x10 modern shaft very sharp can be used one handed or two handed. i also have a sog fasthawk its like a toy compared to the x10
its small and light good for camping throwing etc.
16 November 2012, 09:38,
Estwing one piece cast chopper with the leather washered hand grips.

16 November 2012, 11:02,
ive got the hammer version of that with the rubber grip very good quality.
16 November 2012, 11:33,
I have a question, before you start looking for which hatchet would be best for you.

What will you be using it for?

If you're driving in tent pegs, a hatchet would be better than a khukri or machete, but not as good as a hammer/mallet. If you're chopping wood, a machete or khukri would suck when compared to a wood saw....which would also outshine the hatchet...and would be lighter than the hatchet. If it's personal defence, you're best off with whatever you're used to. And so on and so forth.

This is something I was told early on, don't get a tool if you don't know how to use it, or what to use it for. You'll just waste your money.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
16 November 2012, 11:47,
Mine is for splitting logs, I hope to get a Cold Steel Riflemans Hawk to add to my ....... erm...... security equipment in time.

16 November 2012, 15:40,
I have a sabatia meat cleaver witch I have cut out an axe shape leading to the handle. The steel is self sharpening and thin/strong enough for most jobs and yet small enough to take up less than half the space of a hatchet. I also use a mini machete for smaller work.
he never planned to fail, he just failed to plan. like lambs to the slaughter the wolfs look down from the hill tops. we are those wolfs!!!
16 November 2012, 15:45,
got a couple of bog standard ones bought in the market, cost me a few quid, dont think they've got any makers name on them, i will be using them to chop firewood when i get my logburner.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
16 November 2012, 15:46,
(16 November 2012, 11:33)Scythe13 Wrote: I have a question, before you start looking for which hatchet would be best for you.

What will you be using it for?

If you're driving in tent pegs, a hatchet would be better than a khukri or machete, but not as good as a hammer/mallet. If you're chopping wood, a machete or khukri would suck when compared to a wood saw....which would also outshine the hatchet...and would be lighter than the hatchet. If it's personal defence, you're best off with whatever you're used to. And so on and so forth.

This is something I was told early on, don't get a tool if you don't know how to use it, or what to use it for. You'll just waste your money.

Well the x 10 i have is for choping wood and the sog for everything else.
16 November 2012, 16:31,
estwing it is then, i have had a estwing hammer for 35 years i know the quality....fiskars also good kit but i know estwing won,t let me down........thank you all for your posts
17 November 2012, 10:42,
(16 November 2012, 16:31)Straight Shooter Wrote: estwing it is then, i have had a estwing hammer for 35 years i know the quality....fiskars also good kit but i know estwing won,t let me down........thank you all for your posts

Give us a review when you get it.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin