Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Log storage in town houses
12 October 2013, 14:24,
RE: Log storage in town houses
this is something i must give more thought too ,getting all my wood from skips/factorys is great but what would i do if everybodyelse wanted it or they just said no you cant take it,
i have 3 axes and one bow saw ,but nothing suitable for choping down a med to large tree
Survive the jive (youtube )
12 October 2013, 15:03,
I think this idea that post SHTF there will be loads of people chopping down trees is hilarious, first off most people wont be physically capable of it or have the tools to do it, what they need to do is to COPPICE wood, take off branches and thinner trunks NOT try cutting down a 500 year old tree!!! that way ONLY lies a HERNIA!!Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
12 October 2013, 20:04,
(12 October 2013, 15:03)bigpaul Wrote: I think this idea that post SHTF there will be loads of people chopping down trees is hilarious, first off most people wont be physically capable of it or have the tools to do it, what they need to do is to COPPICE wood, take off branches and thinner trunks NOT try cutting down a 500 year old tree!!! that way ONLY lies a HERNIA!!Big Grin

It would be funny - I imagine there will be plenty of trees that people have started on, but few that people have taken down. Have a go on a 9" diameter tree with an axe, and unless you are fit and experienced, I reckon most would give up on that. That and the fact it is bloody dangerous taking trees down. When I get a big one down, it is only have having spent hours up in the branches with a bow saw and a stanley jet cut taking branches and as much as the trunk as I can before the chainsaw takes the main stump. That is with some one else on the ground on a rope holding what I am cutting.

Take a tree down wrong (and it is easy to do wrong) and its half a day out with the undertaker.

Coppicing is the way to go, if you have access to trees or hedge to coppice. Much safer.

I do have a felling saw but it gets scant use, normally to busy.

As for storage, whatever space you have undercover that is spare! When I have no space left, put a couple of pallets on the ground and stack the wood on top of this, tarp tied tight over the wood. Air gets up through the pallets and as long as the wood is reasonably dry, it stays dry.

I also use the green waste bin the local council provide for wood (all of my green waste goes on the compost), easy to keep by the door and does not look out of place and the worm composting bin the councils were selling cheap several years back gets used for kindling.

During the winter (or any time of year if neighbours do not use the green waste bins if you have them) ask if you can store some logs in theirs, swap your empty with their full when needed.