Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Coldest winter in 100 years on its way!
18 November 2012, 10:44, (This post was last modified: 18 November 2012, 11:08 by Scythe13.)
RE: Coldest winter in 100 years on its way!
(17 November 2012, 23:39)Metroyeti Wrote: People must see the uk and laugh. The rest of the world gets feet of snow and everything runs smoothly.we get two inches the airports shut public transports gone and people forget how to drive.

I have a great trick to driving in the snow. Keep in a low gear....to get more wheel spin, and use the handbreak to start your turn into corners!!! That's how I first 360ed my car!!! Can usually hit a nice 180 on most roundabouts!!! Hours of fun!!! Only use this technique if you like airbags! haha, on a serious note, don't drive like that in the snow!!!

Genuine tips for driving in the snow...
Tip 1. Don't do it.
Tip 2. Use a high gear
Tip 3. Don't touch the accelerator! No really....unless you want to die, or kill someone else.
Tip 4. ALL accelerating and 90% of breaking comes from your gear's
Tip 5. Start in SECOND gear....very slowly bringing the clutch up to get you moving.
Tip 6. Feather the break, if you have to! But only if you have to! It's better to drop down a gear and let that slow you down.
Tip 7. If you are turning, start turning well ahead of time, but take it very slowly. Don't break, maybe even go into a higher gear to turn.
Tip 8. ALWAYS be 1 gear higher than you think you should be in!!! 1st gear no longer exists! You start in second, and to accelerate, you go up a gear and gently work the clutch.....not the accelerator!!! Same with breaking, you go down a gear, but SLOWLY engage the clutch.
Tip 9. You need to leave at LEAST 10 times the typical stopping distance. Don't forget, you can stop quickly, but at the same time, you could just start sliding when you engage the break (see Tip. 4 and 6 for help with this).
Tip 10. Make sure you're using your seatbelt, and that your car has airbags.
Tip 11. See tip 1.
Tip 12. See tip 11.
All of the above things are VERY helpful and should be practiced in a quiet carpark at the first sign of snow!

Obviously, I'm only speaking about driving. I'm taking it that common sense (even for the sheeple) that you should include a sleeping bag, food, water, glow sticks, mobile phone, extra clothing, snow shovel, rock-salt, and the alike, in your car from late Autumn to early Spring.
Oh, and one more thing....

I've been driving in the snow in some damn stupid conditions (Christmas 2 years ago, -10 degrees, 3am...after midnight snowboarding), and I've learned.....don't get too cocky or confident!!! If you get even a little over confident, you WILL get taught respect for icy roads!!!
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin

Messages In This Thread
Coldest winter in 100 years on its way! - by bigpaul - 17 November 2012, 14:22
RE: Coldest winter in 100 years on its way! - by IB1 - 17 November 2012, 15:56
RE: Coldest winter in 100 years on its way! - by IB1 - 17 November 2012, 23:09
RE: Coldest winter in 100 years on its way! - by Scythe13 - 18 November 2012, 10:44
RE: Coldest winter in 100 years on its way! - by Paul - 18 November 2012, 16:21
RE: Coldest winter in 100 years on its way! - by BDG - 19 November 2012, 13:36
RE: Coldest winter in 100 years on its way! - by BDG - 19 November 2012, 14:20