Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Coldest winter in 100 years on its way!
19 November 2012, 13:07,
RE: Coldest winter in 100 years on its way!
I think we would have to be doing indoor gardening of high density nigh nutrient foods.

Living near a pine forest would be a huge advantage, as pine trees are pretty good at dealing with the cold.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
19 November 2012, 13:20,
(17 November 2012, 15:56)IB1 Wrote: Is it just me or do we get the same headline every year ?

I'm sure i read that last year was going to be one of the coldest in 100 years but it was generally mild compared to the previous two

No doubt it will be cold in winter, it generally is, but most of these people cant predict tomorrows weather let alone weeks / months in advance

I think some of this is just the media trying to get people to watch them. They are always saying things these days are "A first/best/worst in X years"

Like the Hurricane Sandy, they made out it was going to be to devastating but I have heard from people that is wasn't that bad a storm at all, compared to the hype around it.
Failure is always an option.
19 November 2012, 13:23,
(19 November 2012, 13:07)Scythe13 Wrote: I think we would have to be doing indoor gardening of high density nigh nutrient foods.

Living near a pine forest would be a huge advantage, as pine trees are pretty good at dealing with the cold.

Not sustainable for a large nation in the long term

Pine forests are almost sterile not completely but almost sterile when it comes to bio diversity, red squirrels and pine martins and not much more, almost no ground growing edibles cept lichen.

To stop the Gulf stream it would take the sudden injection or hundreds of millions of icy cold fresh water rushing into to the GS near greenland, At leasts thats what the ologists say, and to fo that almost all of the frozen Tundras of Russia and Canada would have to melt first. I cant think of that or any other feasable scenario that could cause such a thing. Perhaps the tilt of the earth changing or a new sub surface volcanic island chain growing to physically block the stream.

19 November 2012, 13:26,
it has been said that all this polar ice that has been seen melting could come southward, and all this fresh water would stop the Gulf Stream in its tracks.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
19 November 2012, 13:36,
I would not worry too much about a severe ice age, after all, we are in an ice age at the moment. An ice age is any period in time where there is continuous ice at sea level - as there is at the north and south poles.

The 12000 cycle of heating and cooling only leads to small drops in temperature, nothing that would result in the UK being covered in glaciers. Although 12000 years ago, the UK was covered in glaciers mostly, this was down to a different heating / cooling pattern, a one that has a cycle of around 60,000 years warmer weather and around 100,000 years cold.

These are not the only two cycles that exist of global warming and cooling, that is why it is difficult to say with any certainty that man is having the effect on climate that has been claimed.
19 November 2012, 14:09,
we've got 7BILLION people on the planet and all that human activity is NOT having an effect on the climate? get real!!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
19 November 2012, 14:20,
(19 November 2012, 14:09)bigpaul Wrote: we've got 7BILLION people on the planet and all that human activity is NOT having an effect on the climate? get real!!

?
19 November 2012, 14:23,
BP,

What is being said is that compared to other activities going on the 7 billion people are having a negligible effect on the climate. Consider that most of them don't have cars, central heating, TVs etc.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
19 November 2012, 14:31,
I believe humanity is detroying its environment and polluting the air and water, Its wiping out forsests etc and creating deserts but I dont believe we are having any noticable effect on the climate on a glabal scale. One volcanic eruption of the ...... Bugger I've forgotten which type of eruption it is Pelian?, Vulcan? Krakatoan ? anyway of of the types of eruption puts out more CO2 and Sulpher dioxide in a couple of weeks than humans can put out in decades.

Lets not forget people that geologists, paleologists and climatologists are still trying to factor in so many unknown variables such as the wobble on earths axis and how it can affect the formation / disintegration of ice sheets.

The climate does not phase or bother me at all, but 7 billion dickheads pouring millions of tons of plastic into the oceans each year scares me rigid. In the mid Pacific there is now a floating mass of discarded plastic the size of Texas and its slowly poisoning the ocean around it. Theres a smaller one in the Atlantic I believe. Once we have finished over fishing and poisoning the seas its game over for humanity and most other life forms cept anaerobic bacteria

19 November 2012, 14:32, (This post was last modified: 19 November 2012, 14:36 by Tarrel.)
Doesn't really matter who or what is causing it, from a prepping point of view, it's dealing with the outcome that's important.
(19 November 2012, 14:31)NorthernRaider Wrote: I believe humanity is detroying its environment and polluting the air and water, Its wiping out forsests etc and creating deserts but I dont believe we are having any noticable effect on the climate on a glabal scale. One volcanic eruption of the ...... Bugger I've forgotten which type of eruption it is Pelian?, Vulcan? Krakatoan ? anyway of of the types of eruption puts out more CO2 and Sulpher dioxide in a couple of weeks than humans can put out in decades.

Lets not forget people that geologists, paleologists and climatologists are still trying to factor in so many unknown variables such as the wobble on earths axis and how it can affect the formation / disintegration of ice sheets.

The climate does not phase or bother me at all, but 7 billion dickheads pouring millions of tons of plastic into the oceans each year scares me rigid. In the mid Pacific there is now a floating mass of discarded plastic the size of Texas and its slowly poisoning the ocean around it. Theres a smaller one in the Atlantic I believe. Once we have finished over fishing and poisoning the seas its game over for humanity and most other life forms cept anaerobic bacteria

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Pacific_Garbage_Patch

Find a resilient place and way to live, then sit back and watch a momentous period in history unfold.