Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Best Tinder
3 April 2013, 19:33,
Big Grin  RE: The Best Tinder
Go with the Silver birch, use it daily to light wood stove, find it better than even commerial fire lighters. just unroll it of my logs before I throw them in the burn that way I've always got a good dry stack!.
3 April 2013, 19:35,
RE: The Best Tinder
luckily im surrounded by silver birch within a 10 min walk of my bugout.

but its always handy to have an alternative.
I might have to move.
98% of it, is science, the rest is rainbows - Luci_ferson
3 April 2013, 19:56,
(3 April 2013, 19:27)Luci_ferson Wrote: hope they were nothing to do with your previous experiments lol

be interesting to hear your results .

The results are almost always good, I always carry a little paper as the heat spot works better on newspaper... I have always kept the glasses from old or broken binoculars etc, so providing I have sunlight, then they work fine,.. lol, no the wild fires have nothing to do with me

....and always have some wire wool in the fire container I carry and of course a fire striker

For tinder, another thing I use is what we call `cotton grass` it grows wild on the hills here
http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy114...C08886.jpg
A major part of survival is invisibility.
4 April 2013, 01:04,
might not b tinder but one i'm liking is to melt a candle then get cotton wool balls and dip them in the wax. when there hard all u need to do is scratch the surface and pull out a small amount of cotton as a wick, light, balance and u have a slow burning "cotton ball candle" lol. you can also put a small amount of petro jelly in the centre so it burns for longer.
he never planned to fail, he just failed to plan. like lambs to the slaughter the wolfs look down from the hill tops. we are those wolfs!!!