Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Hello from Co. Durham
19 November 2012, 22:42,
Hello from Co. Durham
I'm not ex-mil, I'm not even much of an outdoorsy type though I can skin and gut most animals and can shoot and fish okay I've never been great on camping!

I'm a middle aged mother of three who has been mulling over what if for too long and decided to take some practical action to at the very least give us a head start. Needless to say what little my family knows of this leads them to think I am quite barmy.

We are in a rural area and have some but not a lot of land. I would like to be a lot more self sufficient than we are and realise that if we do go down that route, it is me who will be taking on most of the load.

Geographically we are not in a great place security wise, far too close to main roads! Ironically, we have have a family house in the far north of Scotland, about 50 miles north of Inverness, in the head of a valley. But shipping the family up there isn't an option Rolleyes so I must make do and mend with where we are.

I am a complete beginner and from what I have read thus far, have a very steep learning curve!

19 November 2012, 22:45,
RE: Hello from Co. Durham
welcome im new to this aswell i joined yesterday greetings from s london
Todays mighty oak is just yesterdays nut that held its ground
In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king
19 November 2012, 23:05,
hi another new one here too ..... just started prepping myself but I've got a few things from doing a bit of walking and camping in the past ....

also middle aged but only one little one that doesn't think I'm nuts as she's only 20 month old and my OH is ok with it too, she's even on board thinking about it
19 November 2012, 23:08, (This post was last modified: 19 November 2012, 23:08 by Highlander.)
Welcome Ferret,... from the Scottish Highlands

You sound a very capable woman, and are starting to think about things,... hopefully we can all help you along a nit
.... a *bit* even
A major part of survival is invisibility.
19 November 2012, 23:21,
Hello and welcome Ferret.
Greetings from dangerous Londonabad.
I second Highlander's comment about your capability.
You will be fine. Just maintain your OPSEC.
The more experienced members will help and answer your questions.
They have helped me enormously.
Best of luck in your prepping.
Prepper Kid: when will the sheeple wake up to the reality?
Prepper Parent: When it is too late to begin prepping for it.
19 November 2012, 23:28,
Hello Ferret from Co Durham, as far as I am aware that makes three of us from this fair county. You, Me and Road Warrior.

Take your time, ask as many questions as you like, dont go throwing money at a problem, and enjoy your time with us.
Respects from Southern Co Durham
NR

20 November 2012, 00:04,
Thank you all for your warm welcomes

@NorthernRaider - I most certainly am going to take my time, I have learned the hard way and way too often that leaping in feet first only ends up with wet wellies and a bad temper!

@Mandlaka - had to look up OPSEC but I'm learning.

Am making lists and inventories and starting with the things I know I can do now and then going to investigate the next steps always straying just out of my comfort zone but not too far. Baby steps all the way. Then if I fall it's only a stumble.

20 November 2012, 00:22,
Welcome from Tyneside.

How much land and any restrictions on what you can do with it?
20 November 2012, 00:27,
Hello Ferret,
Sorry I should have been clearer instead of using the acronym.
I will avoid in future or explain instead.

You Co Durham folks look set to be one tough bunch to confront if SHTF!
I will be bugging out your way...!

Will try to lug along and obtain more supplies if I can make it...Smile
Started scoping out a possible location to source a nice truck...*very naughty grin*
Prepper Kid: when will the sheeple wake up to the reality?
Prepper Parent: When it is too late to begin prepping for it.
20 November 2012, 00:34,
(20 November 2012, 00:27)Mandlaka Wrote: Hello Ferret,
Sorry I should have been clearer instead of using the acronym.
I will avoid in future or explain instead.

You Co Durham folks look set to be one tough bunch to confront if SHTF!
I will be bugging out your way...!

Will try to lug along and obtain more supplies if I can make it...Smile
Started scoping out a possible location to source a nice truck...*very naughty grin*

Don't worry I'm married to a medic and used to work for the EU I live and breathe acronyms and those I don't know I can find out for myself Smile

Oh the truck ... we live along a single track road with little drainage and a shedload of field drains. In the summer we flood in the winter we freeze. It goes against all my beliefs to have a huge great truck just so that we can get out in the few weeks of the year when we are isolated (not to mention the cost of the fuel) but when we are cut off heck I want that vehicle. We used to have a legacy but it finally died this year and even the wonderful Fred couldn't save it. So we are looking at maybe getting an old and solid off roader but I have to play slow and quiet!