Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
REAL reading list both reference and fictional
22 June 2013, 19:57, (This post was last modified: 22 June 2013, 19:59 by Tc556guy.)
RE: REAL reading list both reference and fictional
(6 April 2013, 17:12)Luci_ferson Wrote: ive always wondered why some people see the things we do and become preppers.
yet others see the same things and do nothing.

In my case at a young age we had a major storn that swept through my part of our country

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Agnes

I had extended family that lost their homes, and I can still remember driving along city streets lined with rubble and the military patrolling the cities.

I remember going to visit my extended family in the shelter because they had no other place to go

Then I spent 22 years in the military and had to respond to various natural disasters and meet those in need.

I decline to be a refugee and to need to rely on others

That would be "storm", not "storn". I guess you guys don't have an edit feature here
22 June 2013, 21:42,
RE: REAL reading list both reference and fictional
I'd like to add a couple of books to NR's non-fiction list:

The Long Descent - John Michael Greer
The Long Emergency - James Howard Kunstler
Reinventing Collapse - Dmitri Orlov
2052 - Jorgen Randers
The End of growth - Richard Heinberg
The Crash Course - Chris Martenson

Most of these aren't survival guides as such, but they all examine the converging trends that are likely to cause our descent, and what that descent might look like. The one by Dmitri Orlov is especially interesting. He is a Russian who came to the US to live as a teenager, but subsequently travelled back to the Soviet Union frequently for his work, during its collapse. He paints a clear picture of what happened over there, and draws comparisons with where other developed economies are now. He has a very uncompromising, no-nonsense writing style.
Find a resilient place and way to live, then sit back and watch a momentous period in history unfold.