Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rodent Control
28 October 2011, 11:12,
RE: Rodent Control
I think you will find I post many contentious issues. They need to be put on the table and discussed so we can think about then while we can Google experts and discuss in a reasonable way. My site rules are clear. I just don't want spammers and personal attacks. The rest is open season and everyone should feel free to state their views. Of course you then have to stand by them and defend them when others disagree and post counter arguements.

NR,

What you say makes perfect sense. Personally, I am looking at keeping some feral cats outside for ratting but if I have a dog that can rat as well then bonus. In any eventuality all are potential pot fillers.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
28 October 2011, 11:27,
I don't think rat traps will be a very effective counter-measure, too many rats - they'll breed faster than you can catch them. For every rat you see there's 20 you don't and at this moment there's not many souls who are more than 20 feet from a rat. Houses may be fairly rat-proof but that's no comfort for a remote(ish) BOL which could be camping style for some.
Brian
Advice is what you seek when you know the answer but wish you didn't
28 October 2011, 12:05, (This post was last modified: 28 October 2011, 12:07 by NorthernRaider.)
(28 October 2011, 10:55)Skvez Wrote: You'd have to be pretty stupid (or desperate) to kill the neighbours dog infront of them but if their dog just disappears one day and never comes back what are they going to do?
Lots of cultures eat dog.
I'd certainly prefer to try dog before I try rat.

Pickled Poodle
Boiled Boxer
Toasted Terrier
Duck ala Dachund
Grilled Greyhound
Stir fried Mastiff
Roll of Rottweiler

(28 October 2011, 11:12)Skean Dhude Wrote: NR,

What you say makes perfect sense. Personally, I am looking at keeping some feral cats outside for ratting but if I have a dog that can rat as well then bonus. In any eventuality all are potential pot fillers.

I found over the years that small terriers make the most tenacous ratters, they will stake out a rat run all night, moggies get bored and lazy. Thats why we got the dread lesser spotted Were-Terrier to keep the garden rodents in place ( and the cats)

28 October 2011, 13:43,
i would be very interested, if i had a larger property i.e. more land, to get a couple of fereal cats to keep rats and mice down, they dont get fed they have to live on what they catch. OH is a bit anti moggie at the moment as they come in the garden at night when we are asleep, and they poo everywhere on the (Wood) chippings and then she stands in it and gets it everywhere, so in the event (post shtf) we may end up shooting them anyway, wether we end up eating them is another matterSmile
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
2 November 2011, 14:32,
Probably the most effective way to stop cats poo'ing in your garden is to get a cat. Cat's tend not to poo in their own territory (as you've noticed) and they tend to keep out of other cats territory. If a cat claims your garden as its territory it will be poo free.
Doctor Prepper: What's the worst that could happen?
2 November 2011, 14:37,
(2 November 2011, 14:32)Skvez Wrote: Probably the most effective way to stop cats poo'ing in your garden is to get a cat. Cat's tend not to poo in their own territory (as you've noticed) and they tend to keep out of other cats territory. If a cat claims your garden as its territory it will be poo free.

sorry, but we had a neighbours cat living in our garden for a while, didnt stop other moggies coming in and using it for a cat toilet!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
2 November 2011, 15:11,
(2 November 2011, 14:32)Skvez Wrote: Probably the most effective way to stop cats poo'ing in your garden is to get a cat. Cat's tend not to poo in their own territory (as you've noticed) and they tend to keep out of other cats territory. If a cat claims your garden as its territory it will be poo free.

Skvez,

What do you do when your own cat sits on the compost bin watching every other cat in the UK walk through its garden. She even sits and watches them eating her food.

She will be first in the pot come an event.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
2 November 2011, 15:21, (This post was last modified: 2 November 2011, 15:22 by Skvez.)
Wow, maybe I've just had a lot of very territorial cats!
Admittedly compost heaps are warm and a cat has to get very motivated to move from one.
Doctor Prepper: What's the worst that could happen?
2 November 2011, 18:22,
Naa I keep my cat population down via thw Were Terrier, he hates em.

2 November 2011, 19:15,
I tend to find a quick kick up the arse keeps cats out of the garden, as long as you can get them to land a couple of doors down.
I've done this on several occasions and so far they haven't come back...come to think of it I haven't seen them wandering about at all ??? Oh dear!
There's no Justice, There's Just Us.