Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Investors Already Know
1 December 2012, 20:04,
RE: Investors Already Know
well gold and silver is all very well, how will you trade with it? .....give me a shed full food everytime.....p-metals would be as about as usefull as an ashtray on a motorbike
2 December 2012, 10:24, (This post was last modified: 2 December 2012, 10:27 by Scythe13.)
RE: Investors Already Know
(1 December 2012, 17:45)BDG Wrote:
(29 November 2012, 19:44)Scythe13 Wrote: Never in the past has a depression caused 2 years, or even 6 months, of WROL (Without Rule of Law)...

I really don't see the world collapsing through a depression. It didn't in the past, and it shouldn't right now.

The world has never been so connected in the past. We had civilizations that did not know of one and other, and they collapsed. We had civilizations that knew of each other and they collapsed.

It was long term depression that caused the end of the Western Roman empire, as it was poor external trade causing a long term depression that lead to the end of the Harappan culture in North Western India. Ancient Chinese civilizations came and went as emperors emptied their treasuries and productivity was bled white with taxes to try and hold empires together.
There have been many, many more.

I'm not disagreeing with you on this. MANY places have collapsed from depressions. HOWEVER, there are more depressions that occur, than there are collapsed nations. Most nations go through regular depressions without total collapse. Japan is in a super long term depression and some how is doing fine.

With regard to the world never being more connected.....completely agree. Interestingly, those are the exact same words said in the last depression (The Great Depression), where people said the world was connected infinitely, and it was a world economy, same as it is today. We are all so well connected that what will happen (in my view) will be like that in most other countries that go through a depression, times will be hard, the economy won't grow, and we'll all be very miserable. Also.....an economy is the greatest time to increase your wealth for post-depression living. If the country goes into a depression (which I believe it already is in....never has a double dip recession not preceded a depression, then history re-records the double dip as a deepening of the depression) then people will go along with their normal business as usual. Yes there will be HUGE unemployment, and people will be looking for someone to save them. But it will not be 100% unemployment. The WHOLE nation will not rise up and take arms against the government.

Let's be realistic here. Spain and Greece are maverick countries with weird cultures, unlike our also weird culture. However, although there is masses of unemployment and a quantity of unemployed teens, young adults, and the alike (the volatile ages) they are still pottering along. Yes there are riots, and sometimes those riots go on for a long time. But they are not in the roads where people live. They're in the shopping centres. In the parliament houses, and government buildings. However, the vast majority of the country just plods along working 9-5, and avoids the riots. Some (many, to be fair) support the rioters and their cause. But the end of the day, those countries just get along with it.

Here in the UK, we don't have weather conducive toward long term rioting. How would a total WROL scenario come to being? As with current Greece or Spain, the vast majority of people will just trudge along and try to earn.

I REALLY find it difficult to see a WROL for a long time, from occurring through a depression.

For more evidence, check our Iceland and the collapse of their banks.

I'm not saying it's impossible. Just, in my humble opinion, very unlikely. Which is why I'm going for silver investments. They have the greatest capacity to increase in value. I see a VERY HARSH depression, no doubt in my mind. But I also see a recovery, albeit in 7-15 years (from the bottom of the depression). If the world doesn't collapse before then, I'll have cashed in my silver as high a value as possible, and bought properties to rent, a shop to sell produce, a farm (for the land, or food production), or something like that. If silver increases in value, while properties/businesses/land values drop, then why not capitalise and make the most of the unfortunate events?
(1 December 2012, 20:04)Straight Shooter Wrote: well gold and silver is all very well, how will you trade with it? .....give me a shed full food everytime.....p-metals would be as about as usefull as an ashtray on a motorbike

That's very situationally dependant.....except the motorbike thing.
(1 December 2012, 14:41)bigpaul Wrote: check this out-interesting reading: http://offgridsurvival.com/cashisking-preciousmetals/

I totally agree.....to a point.

If it gets like Zimbabwe, where inflation is over 100% a week, then people would prefer a hunk of silver. However, if not, then I agree, cash would be king. But that's not to say that silver won't be traded.

My purpose for silver, to trade it in for cash when it's most advantageous for me to do so.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin