Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deadly 'superbugs' invade U.S. health care facilities
3 December 2012, 15:23,
Deadly 'superbugs' invade U.S. health care facilities
Source: http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/natio...n/1727667/

"The doctors tried one antibiotic after another, racing to stop the infection as it tore through the man's body, but nothing worked."

Worrying, seems virus's are mutating and becoming stronger

more quotes from said article:

"There is little chance that an effective drug to kill CRE bacteria will be produced in the coming years. Manufacturers have no new antibiotics in development that show promise, according to federal officials and industry experts, and there's little financial incentive because the bacteria adapt quickly to resist new drugs."

"Many hospitals -- and an even greater percentage of nursing homes -- lack the capacity, such as lab capability, to identify CRE, or the resources to effectively screen and isolate patients carrying the bacteria. And even when screening is possible, there's a lack of consensus on whom to target."
4 December 2012, 09:51,
RE: Deadly 'superbugs' invade U.S. health care facilities
This could be interesting to see whether there will be any new antibiotics invented that will show promise.

If so, I bet they'll be expensive and extremely hard to get hold of.

Looks like we need to start prepping science labs and medical centres, instead of just tins.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
4 December 2012, 10:23,
I was interested to note that at some UK based medical facility they replaced many chrome and plastic fittings like door handles, light switches, tap tops, food prep surfaces etc with copper versions and the copper killed all the nasty bacteria that landed on them, If germa cannot survive on a surface they cannot spread of transfer easily.

That itself made me add a little note in my med preps book that after TSHTF if a group had to set up a medical room it may be a good idea to slavage some copper sheets to deply on work surfaces etc.

4 December 2012, 11:33,
i read somewhere, a while ago, that 75% of health care professionals are carriers of super bugs??
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.